ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm beginning to get the feeling that it doesn't matter which high end motherboard you pick for gaming.

Is there a point to doing a benchmarking page?

It could be summed up with "buy the cheapest one you can find on this list" along with the pros and cons chart.

I am glad more motherboards are starting to ship with 10 Gb ethernet.

We need more of those benchmarks :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Some companies want Tom's Hardware to include clock cheats because those are "a feature", but our fundamental preference for having control of your system (catering to manual overclockers) means we're going to try to find the closest way to match the CPU's stock configuration in benchmarks (the alternative would be to test at a fixed frequency, and that would be even more boring). If you hit a 4.40 GHz all-core-AVX-stable setting on this CPU, it's going to perform basically the same regardless of board. And, for the most part, people who think those loads aren't realistic can typically do 4.7 GHz at similar settings (a minor bump in voltage, if requires, won't cause thermal throttling at less-intense loads).

We include the benchmarks because people want to make sure they're there. Keeping them only occupies around 2 hours of tester input since most of them are automated.

We also need more 10GbE to make it more worthwhile, which takes a little time. Unfortunately it is lost by the time your router connects to your ISP (unless you got fiber and your ISP offers speeds faster than a 1GbE or 5GbE connection can handle.) Within your own LAN? It's very nice for accessing your own media servers and for LAN parties.

I'd use it for faster backups and quickly transferring Blu-ray images to other computers.

8 Terabytes / 125 MB/s = 64000 seconds or 17.7 hours
8 Terabytes / 1250 MB/s = 6400 seconds or ... 1.77 hours

Of course this won't affect your download / upload speed from the internet for 99% of home users.

Anyone with multiple fiber connections already has Cisco switches capable of 10Gb or higher.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel said the limit was 140W so everyone's cheating except Asus. I'd rather credit the company that isn't cheating and then blame Intel for producing a CPU that can't hold a maximum sustained workload at its rated frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.