ASRock Gives SATA-Express Purpose With USB 3.1 And Type-C, Also Reveals U.2 Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
While I'm grateful for front-facing USB Type-C ports to finally come to market, I'm a little underwhelmed by this. (And not just the three plugs to get it to work.) If we're going to fill a 5.25" bay, can we have more than just 2x USB ports on an otherwise flat, featureless panel? How about throwing in an SD Card reader (two slots, Micro and Full Size) while we're at it? You already have a USB header connection, so why not make use of it?

weilin

Distinguished
why does this thing need both a SATA power connector AND a USB 2.0 connector (presumably only for power)? What's wrong with getting all the power it needs just off the SATA power connector...

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
why does this thing need both a SATA power connector AND a USB 2.0 connector (presumably only for power)? What's wrong with getting all the power it needs just off the SATA power connector...
I can only guess that the issue could be the different voltages. ASRock probably found this manner easier than adding a DC-to-DC converter on the PCB to change the 12V SATA signal to the 5V signal USB devices need.

weilin

Distinguished

USB 2.0 only provides 5v. SATA provides 3.3v, 5v and 12v.

I think the controller board is powered by the USB 2.0 5v and the USB 3.1 power delivery uses the SATA power connector.

My guess is they're relying on the motherboard to clean up the 5v source so that they don't need to include the circuitry to clean up the input from the SATA power connector.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
They need to go back to the drawing board. Such a waste of a 5.25 bay if it only gives 2 USB ports and it needs 3 separate connections lol.
Could they at least add in a dollar-store thermometer on the front? Or just move the plugs closer to the center? Anything? Heck, add a drawer, just a cheap plastic drawer to store flash drives in. Anything with all that empty space.

Status
Not open for further replies.