ASRock H170M Pro4S And H170M-ITX/ac Motherboard Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Nice to see Mushkin getting some action - even if it is just as components for testing other components.

I've used a fair number of Mushkin parts over the years, and I only recall a single RMA on some DDR2 years ago. One of my oldest SSDs is the one in my wife's PC, and you can be sure I'd be hearing about it if it were not reliable. I'm generally confident in the brand.

logainofhades

Titan
Seems like, for most people, H170 boards are a great choice. I have been pretty happy with mine, that was in the last H170 review. Eventually I will swap for a Z170, and reuse it somewhere else. The lack of PCI-E M.2, on the ITX board, is a bit of a letdown. If I were to build an ITX rig, I would probably consider that feature a must have.

That is why I chose the MSI board to keep for Igor, in case I wanted to add a PCIe M.2 drive later.
It's a low priority, because interest in nearly identical products isn't going to be high, but I've got two more H170 boards left, the H170 Pro4 and the H170 Pro4S, also both ASRock. I want to get one of them on the bench tonight. In order to maintain interest, I may use it to generate a couple more data points, like comparing Windows 8 and Windows 10 through the same tests.

pjc6281

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
no USB 3.1 is the downside for me on both of these. Trying to plan for a nice mini system with a H170 MB and 3.1 is hard to come by.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Both boards appear to have the same DVI-I ports in the images.
The Pro4s description of the DVI-I port limitation is missing the words 'do not'
'VGA adapters (do not) work on DVI-I ports, so an adapter won't be an option here.'

Lutfij

Titan
Agreed, when going to the smallest form factor possible the benefit of having slim/stealthy or equally smaller components aids in bringing about a small, functional and compact system.

The only thing is I know most people would opt for audio pass through via the HDMI port but I equally know folks who yet have an audio/video receiver that handles discrete multi channel surround sound so a higher quality audio chip would be something in my books though it would only jack up the prices up and float this board closer to enthusiast grade boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.