Asrock Launches Mini-ITX X299 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Pfft, mini-ITX? I won't be impressed, until they give us mini-STX! Ok, joking, that's seriously impressive. I keep thinking, that ASRock engineers are so soft - 'You can't do this! It's impossible!' - 'Yo, hold my beeer, and watch this'. To add insult to injury, this board features full possible I/O.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
This would be so much more interesting if they did this for x399 ThreadRipper with the x16PCIe slot and the backside of the motherboard could have like 4 to 8 M.2 slots which could be raided.

jmwestfahl

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
>> Are the m.2 slots connected to the CPU PCie lanes?

The 2 slots on the back of the PCB are connected to CPU lanes, the 1 slot on the riser card on the front is connected to PCH lanes.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009

There is no physical space for >3 M.2 slots. they cannot be put under CPU socket and RAM, and shouldn't be put under PCI-Express slot (at least not if it is to be usable slot). This limits real estate. Even as it is, mini-ITX is already cramped. Most of the interfaces are on the daighterboards. There is no way around this.

And to boot, TR4 socket is much larger than 20xx, less hardware is stacked (loike chipset doesn't have LAN phy onboard, it's separate chip), so it is unlikely, that they will hit TR4-equiped mini-ITX motherboard, that will be of decent quality.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
WOW!!

I'm impressed. Its like they understood what the customer wanted and made it.

This is what we need, tiny boards that can compete with the monster ATX boards because most people will only grab 1 GPU and a mid level CPU. I'm loving this!

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I've never really been a fan of ASRock but gotta say I'm impressed by this board. Love the steel reenforced PCIe and 3x M.2?! I don't love the SODIMM but understand why they went with it and it's something I could live with. Overall seems like a great board!

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I'll give them props for fitting 4 slots on a mini board but I don't see the need from a gamers perspective two is more then enough. I am currently using their mini itx z170 fatality board and I don't think I will be buying another product from them. Got it in and the Bluetooth never worked right and the Wi-Fi antina was broken out the box unfortunately I didn't notice until I had everything installed and running. Got a hold of their customer service and told me to return it to the retailer. Who feels like waiting for that and having to disassemble and reassemble once it does get back to you. I didn't use Wi-Fi anyways and I bought one of thoughs Bluetooth usbs instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.