ASRock MoBo Supporting ''Zambezi'' Arrives Soon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
The finally made those boards look good with a black CPU socket.

Why did it take them so long ? Intel has had it since the start of the 775 socket.

GaMEChld

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Xlick[/nom]something doesn't add up here...The article says it will support quad Crossfire X...But it also says there are only 2 pcie 2.0 slots...And the picture shows 3 slots...What is it? 2, 3, or 4?[/citation]

I didn't do any research on this board, but just wanted to say I think you can technically support Quadfire with 2 slots if utilizing dual-gpu cards (Radeon 5970 or soon Radeon 6990)

GaMEChld

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Zambezi is supposed to have a GPU on chip right? So I'm assuming that's what is used to do quad crossfireX?[/citation]

Actually, to my knowledge Zambezi does NOT have a GPU integrated on it. I do not think it is a fusion chip at all. I think Llano is the highest power fusion chip that is slated for release soon. People looking for Zambezi level of power will most definitely want a discrete video card, probably at least Radeon 6700 caliber or better.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Awesome! This is perfect, for me! The ASRock Deluxe3/Deluxe4 boards actually had everything I wanted, except for an AM3+ socket! I held off buying, but I'm so glad I don't have to wait for the 990FX to come out. Plus, the 890FX & SB850 are now proven parts and this is hopefully just a minor tweak to ASRock's existing board design.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
BTW, I'm buying this for a home-built fileserver. AMD's I/O architecture is so much better for this than Intel's socket-1155/1156 CPUs, plus AMD Phenom II CPUs support ECC memory! It would cost me far more to build an Intel system with ECC and nearly this many PCIe lanes.

AMD may not have the fastest CPUs, but this thing has server-grade I/O and ECC memory. It's the perfect thing for home servers!

Edit: I have just discovered that ASRock doesn't support ECC memory in their Deluxe3 or Deluxe4 boards. I'll wait and see what they say about the Deluxe5, but it looks like I might be buying an ASUS. Which is unfortunate, because ASUS's boards have fewer PCIe slots and SATA ports. And I might have to waste one of the PCIe slots it does have by adding a SATA card, if I don't use an IDE boot drive.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
[citation][nom]compton[/nom]Baby Jesus hates it when you go legacy. PCI and IDE? I'm not buying another motherboard that has either.[/citation]
For my next build, I ruled out any mobos that didn't have at least TWO PCI slots! I have 4 PCI cards that I might want to use in it: an 8-port serial card (for home automation), a HDTV tuner card, a SCSI card (have some old disks I might need to get stuff off of), and an expensive uncompressed digital video I/O card.

I also have plenty of IDE DVD-ROM drives, and I like not having to buy another just to get SATA. I might also use an old IDE hard drive for swap.

Just because a product doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean it shouldn't be built. And trust me - you can definitely find 890FX boards without PCI slots. You just need to look, instead of complaining.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
[citation][nom]newbie_mcnoob[/nom]Why buy a 890FX board now instead of waiting for 990FX?[/citation]
Because I need to build a system ASAP, and it would suck to wait for 990FX! I want upgradability, especially since Orochi is supposed to be so good. Also, the 890FX/SB850 are stable parts and the 990FX adds almost nothing.

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I have an IDE dvd burner and i also have a 200 gig ide harddrive.
I still have a floppy A: Drive.
I need a PCI slot for a dial up modem
I need a PCI slot possibley for a soundcard (someday id like to get one of them fancy soundblasters.

all im gonna do is a motherboard switch and keep everything else the same..... Okay minus the Floppy A: drive...

tomus

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I am in the SAME EXACT position.
I wanted p67 mobo, and look what happened.
So I thought, I'll go back to AMD.
And when I saw AMD hadn't progressed much with mobo stuff in the last 3 years, I was dismayed.
My main system is fried. I will not go 890 now, I will wait.
No new system for me until at least 6 months, no matter if AMD / Intel.

One of these two companies needs to step up to the plate now.
AMD has a real opportunity right now to advance themselves and show consumers how much quality an AMD system can be, and stable.

Intel needs to give some sort of HUGE promo when the fixed p67 mobo come out. Unlocking the mobo's with on board graphics would be nice.

Time will tell what these two huge corporations will do in the next two months. A very precocious time for both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.