ASRock P67 Extreme3 error code 62 with replacement graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharris89

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
Hello!

I've been having issues with a replacement GTX 970 card in my rig. Here's the details:

MB: ASrock p67 extreme4 refi: 3.1 (latest stable)
CPU:Intel core i5-2500k @ 3.3ghz
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 1600
3x sata HDD of various sizes and speeds from prior builds.
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC (problem one)

I RMA'd a card after having a black screen issue with it (error code D6 - VGA). Between receiving the new card, I swapped to a friends old ATI card - partially to confirm that it was really the card and not just the PCI-E slot since it's an older motherboard, and partially because with no onboard video I needed something so my PC would run.

I received my RMA card in the mail yesterday and replaced it. Now I am getting error code 62 - which seems to be somewhat common. I took the following steps...

1. uninstall all ATI drivers and artifacts from old Nvidea drivers (I used display driver uninstaller in safe mode)
2. uninstall ATI card, clear CMOS
3. install new nvidea card
4. older card uses less power (1x 6 pin PCI-E, vs 2) so i tried both to make sure that it would boot.

I noticed that the fans on the new card spin a little, but much. I also get error code 62 regardless of if the power pins are plugged in, so maybe it's a power issue? (which would explain why the first card died in the first place?)

I'm still getting error code 62 "installation of south bridge runtime services", from other threads I've gathered that it's the last code before switching into windows. My next plan is to try a new power supply, but i don't know what else to do if that fails. I know that this card works in my rig - I had the same one in it a week ago! I'd be surprised if EVGA sent me a faulty card via RMA, any other ideas?

Solution
That should be the BIOS setting is not right.
1) Using onboard iGPU. Try clear the CMOS, boot into the BIOS, set the BIOS setting to "Optimal" BIOS Settings. Saving, exit. Shut down PC, install the gtx970, try boot the PC. If this does not work. Try the 2nd step.
2) Using the onboard iGPU, disable the "Secure Boot", and enable CSM, or compatibility, or legacy mode, it depends on your MB BIOS. Saving and install the gtx970, boot the PC.
Because you did try clear the CMOS or other ATI GPU, and you also said the PSU run the gtx970 just fine before. So I think you should try other PSU, the PSU may have problem right, if you are sure the new gtx970 is fine.

For PSU, you may try boot into the BIOS with onboard intel iGPU, which is from the i5 2500k, in the hardware monitor section, check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. You want to see those voltages are within +/- 5%, that means the PSU is good, otherwise it has problem to power the gtx970. Also if you can test the gtx970 in other PC to see it works fine or not.

I forget to ask what BIOS the MB has, UEFI or Legacy?

bharris89

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017

Thanks for your response! I'll investigate more about a PSU over the weekend.

The motherboard is UEFI, I updated it to the latest table 3.1 version a few months ago.

bharris89

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
Ok I installed a new PSU (corsair 650m) and tried updating to the beta bios 3.19 using the old ati card. Both were unsuccessful

I did enable Uefi enabled rom in the boot settings, which lets me at least get to the bios splash screen with the new card. I can see now that the error is B2 not 62 as I originally thought. However I cannot get into the bios (or past it) with the new card.

That should be the BIOS setting is not right.
1) Using onboard iGPU. Try clear the CMOS, boot into the BIOS, set the BIOS setting to "Optimal" BIOS Settings. Saving, exit. Shut down PC, install the gtx970, try boot the PC. If this does not work. Try the 2nd step.
2) Using the onboard iGPU, disable the "Secure Boot", and enable CSM, or compatibility, or legacy mode, it depends on your MB BIOS. Saving and install the gtx970, boot the PC.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.