Question ASRock RX 5600 XT Phantom Gaming D3 - Driver crash once a day !

FaelanTM

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
So everything was fine 2 days ago without updating anything my GPU driver started crashing once a day and AMD Adrenaline Software shows Driver Timeout error.
It doesn't matter where i am - gaming or desktop it crashes randomly once - i think something is triggering the crash because if i turn on the computer but don't use it there are no crashes,

Things i tried:
Before installing the card i uninstalled old Nvidia drivers using DDU. - its not something that i tried to troubleshoot the problem just fyi.
Played with Adrenaline settings - nothing helps.
Today i updated AMD Chipset - need to test it - most likely tomorrow as it crashes once a day.

Is it really driver related tho ? The card is one week old ..... Using 20.11.2 Version right now. ( its funny because it was okay till 3 days with the same drivers ) i didn't changed anything. Any advice or i should wait for a new driver ?

FaelanTM

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
This sounds familair for some reason. You have windows 10 OS?

Thank you for answering and sorry for answering you back late ... yes im with Windows 10 64 bit - decided to factory clean the driver and installed the lastest Optional-Beta driver which is 20.11.3.

PS: also read that undervolting helps now i'll try that ..but im kinda paranoid - it should be safe right ? :D

FaelanTM

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
What is the brand and EXACT model of your PSU?

I'd personally stick with the 20.11.2 WHQL driver instead of going to the 20.11.3 Beta/Optional, just to be on the safe side.

The PSU is Seasonic CORE GM 500W - on the website of the card it says Recommended PSU 650W but on the BOX of the card says minimum 450W PSU so i think im fine ... also ZERO shut downs playing demanding games nothing not even a problem only that crash once a day of the driver .... and it making me crazy

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
If heat and power eliminate then maybe would suggest issue is software relate. AMD usually get blame but I would blame the windows 10. Maybe if you want to try optimize the windows for gaming , suggest disable ulps, focus assist, etc.. enables the ultimate power plan, etc... Would have to say for me all my instability issues I had with 5700xt were caused by windows 10. But it not a bad idea to the optimize radeon software after. Not that it help but I run the 20.9.1 driver. Watch adrenaline update close and not see any benefits for this pc so far. New drivers and games much more optimize for 5000 series can see it in benchmarks. Its all good.

Reactions: FaelanTM

FaelanTM

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
If heat and power eliminate then maybe would suggest issue is software relate. AMD usually get blame but I would blame the windows 10. Maybe if you want to try optimize the windows for gaming , suggest disable ulps, focus assist, etc.. enables the ultimate power plan, etc... Would have to say for me all my instability issues I had with 5700xt were caused by windows 10. But it not a bad idea to the optimize radeon software after. Not that it help but I run the 20.9.1 driver. Watch adrenaline update close and not see any benefits for this pc so far. New drivers and games much more optimize for 5000 series can see it in benchmarks. Its all good.

So you mean its normal to have a crash once a day ? :D i undervolted the card with only -20 MHz and -20mV tested it last night played AC Odyssey for an hour and a half and it was good