News ASRock Says New Challenger Monitors Are Good for ‘Light Gaming’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
What does the monitor have to do with the intensity of gaming? Like I know that some monitors may not be the best for gaming, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t. Not to mention a monitor for ‘light gaming’ would be one with a 60hz refresh rate as it is not meant for competitive games.

Reactions: AgentBirdnest
Probably would have been better to label it as "casual gaming", but 100hz is an interesting decision instead of 120hz. The problem I see though is that there are monitors like the MSI OPTIX G2712 (27", 1920x1080, 144hz, >100% sRGB) for $180 (or on sale for $160 now). Even if ASRock prices this monitor at $125 it'd be tough for me to tell someone to buy this monitor over the MSI, especially since a monitor should last you several builds.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Oh man, I wish this had come out last week. Depending on the price, this could have been perfect for the secondary PC I just built.

What does the monitor have to do with the intensity of gaming? Like I know that some monitors may not be the best for gaming, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t. Not to mention a monitor for ‘light gaming’ would be one with a 60hz refresh rate as it is not meant for competitive games.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly... My friend dabbles in Cyberpunk for an hour, a couple times per week, when he has the time. Another friend plays pixel-art point-and-click adventures for 6 hours a day. Is the latter "light" gaming, compared to an hour of Cyberpunk twice a week?

For that matter, I don't like the terms "casual" or "hardcore" gaming. There's no clear definition, and I usually disagree with what others think. To me, "hardcore" is investing your heart and mind into a game for hours on end, getting emotionally involved, and thinking about it when you aren't even playing - and that happens to me most often with story-based RPGs, life-sims, or even point-and-click adventure games. On the flipside, casual is something that I can jump into for an hour while I'm brain fogged, and then forget I even played it when I'm done, like most FPS games or a racing game.

Oh man, I wish this had come out last week. Depending on the price, this could have been perfect for the secondary PC I just built.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... My friend dabbles in Cyberpunk for an hour, a couple times per week, when he has the time. Another friend plays pixel-art point-and-click adventures for 6 hours a day. Is the latter "light" gaming, compared to an hour of Cyberpunk twice a week?

For that matter, I don't like the terms "casual" or "hardcore" gaming. There's no clear definition, and I usually disagree with what others think. To me, "hardcore" is investing your heart and mind into a game for hours on end, getting emotionally involved, and thinking about it when you aren't even playing - and that happens to me most often with story-based RPGs, life-sims, or even point-and-click adventure games. On the flipside, casual is something that I can jump into for an hour while I'm brain fogged, and then forget I even played it when I'm done, like most FPS games or a racing game.
Playing any game for 6 hours a day is pretty hardcore I think.

MiniITXEconomy

Prominent
Dec 9, 2022

I think you guys are getting too hung up on the labels. As Alvar stated (and, yes, I'm referencing three different posts, now...) it's just their phrase for "entry level," a way to inform potential buyers about its specs at a glance. I don't understand why you'd take that personal, lol

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I think you guys are getting too hung up on the labels. As Alvar stated (and, yes, I'm referencing three different posts, now...) it's just their phrase for "entry level," a way to inform potential buyers about its specs at a glance. I don't understand why you'd take that personal, lol
Fair point, but it still doesn’t explain what they consider to be light gaming. I know that I shouldn’t take the label too seriously but it is weird that a company would make a monitor positioned for “light gaming”.

Status
Not open for further replies.