ASRock Shows Off Three Motherboards for Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
The x79 extreme 11 seems a bit extreme and maybe aimed at the inexperienced who actually thinks they are going to fit 7 graphics cards or teslas on this board. If the board had a larger footprint, or if all the graphics cards were water-cooled and the card + water cooler take only one slot each, maybe, but could you even get a power supply that would supply enough power for 7 high-end GPUs?

G

Actually, the x79 isn't designed for seven cards. Given that high end graphics use two slots (or even three in some cases) you are only going to fit a maximum of seven cards in there. The other slots are there for other PCIe devices.

[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]The x79 extreme 11 seems a bit extreme and maybe aimed at the inexperienced who actually thinks they are going to fit 7 graphics cards or teslas on this board.[/citation]

I may be wrong, but I only count 4 PCIe-3.0 x16 slots and it specifically states 4-way SLI on the board, not 7.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I may be wrong, but I only count 4 PCIe-3.0 x16 slots and it specifically states 4-way SLI on the board, not 7.[/citation]
The fact it supports 4-way SLI has no relation to the number of slots. Most probably it does x16 if up to 3 add-in cards are detected and x8 if 4 or more. As evil as marketing goes a pair of "open" x1 slots also allow quad CF and quad SLI.

[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]The x79 extreme 11 seems a bit extreme and maybe aimed at the inexperienced who actually thinks they are going to fit 7 graphics cards or teslas on this board. If the board had a larger footprint, or if all the graphics cards were water-cooled and the card + water cooler take only one slot each, maybe, but could you even get a power supply that would supply enough power for 7 high-end GPUs?[/citation]

The article states that it only supports 4-way SLI/Crossfire. However, with this board and liquid cooling you could have the 4-way SLI, uber fast PCI-e 2.0 x4 slot SSD, 10gb Ethernet and heavy duty fiber channel RAID card with external 24 disc RAID 60 array.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I'm confused, I thought ASRock was Asus' budget motherboard brand. Wouldn't these enthusiast boards note only contradict the reason ASRock was created but also possibly cannibalize Asus mainstream/enthusiast motherboard sales?

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]apone[/nom]I'm confused, I thought ASRock was Asus' budget motherboard brand. Wouldn't these enthusiast boards note only contradict the reason ASRock was created but also possibly cannibalize Asus mainstream/enthusiast motherboard sales?[/citation]
It was their budget brand. Now they are an independent company. They seem to be selling both budget and enthusiast boards. Their focus is mostly on OC and pcie lanes while Asus usually goes for tons of features.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]The x79 extreme 11 seems a bit extreme and maybe aimed at the inexperienced who actually thinks they are going to fit 7 graphics cards or teslas on this board. If the board had a larger footprint, or if all the graphics cards were water-cooled and the card + water cooler take only one slot each, maybe, but could you even get a power supply that would supply enough power for 7 high-end GPUs?[/citation]
You can't do more than 4 way sli/cf period. Nvidia and AMD do not support it. That said, you could have more than 4 gpus, just not in sli/cf. It could be useful in a gpu compute scenario though.

Dual PLX chips for x16/x16/x16/x16 CF/SLI... That's crazy. You probably wouldn't even need a CF bridge at that point because there'd be so much bandwidth in the PCIe for CF. This board could be used for a ridiculously extreme gaming computer, or a still very extreme compute/bit-mining machine. You'd need two monster power supplies, but 7 water cooled 7970s is a lot of performance for either scenario. Of course, there's so much more that could be done with it... For example, you could fit 6 12TB/16TB OCZ/Marvell PCIe 3.0 SSDs in this machine for some ridiculously high capacity and high performance storage and have additional networking connectors to make the base for an incredible server platform. It would be far cheaper per GB than the occasionally proposed DDR3 RAM being used for storage in highly performance-critical situations and wouldn't be skimping on performance to get that lower price.

The other boards are also great.

[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]I'm not familiar with Teaming, could someone explain?[/citation]

Basically lets two or more ports be used as a single connection with the combined bandwidth of the ports in the team. IE two GbE ports could be used as a single 2GbE connection.

[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]isnt 16x quadfire or quad sli going to be bottlenecked by the sandy-bridge e chips?[/citation]

Why would the SB-E CPUs have any bottle-neck on having x16/x16/x16/x16 instead of x8/x8/x8/x8 quad card CFX/SLI? Do you mean wouldn't the fact that these CPUs don't have that many lanes on-die? If so, then that doesn't matter. If you meant performance-wise that you don't think that the SB-E CPUs have enough performance for it, then still no. In such a situation, the bottle-neck would be so far on the GPUs because they would be playing at incredible resolution and/or settings/AA/AF etc. etc. that the CPU might as well be an i5.

[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]14 on board SATA controllers!!!!!!!! hopefully I will be able to afford this... someday[/citation]

There's a huge difference between a controller and a port and most of the ports on that X79 board, if not all of them, are SAS, not SATA.

Changed to this below:

That would fix it, if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.