News ASRock Sticks With AMD Reference Design for New Radeon RX 6800, 6800 XT Cards

BILL1957

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
I think it is interesting as to how the Nvidia cards have been roasted (pun intended) for their advertised power draw and wattage requirements not to mention their heat output but the AMD cards are also in that same ballpark and the lower numbers are not always in favor of AMD.
Below are the advertised power draw figures in watts:
3070=220 watts, 6800= 250 watts
3080 320 watts, 6800xt= 300 watts
I do not see where there is enough difference to warrant a massive difference in the heat output and also if a persons PSU is running that close on headroom regardless of which brand competing card you choose according to the advertised power draw figures then either could well require a PSU upgrade.
Just thought this was interesting as these issues are made out to be such a negative for Nvidia but there seems to be no mention of these same issues concerning the AMD cards

hannibal

Distinguished
One thing to look at is that 6800 is based on navi21 just like 6800xt and 6900xt.
3080 and 3090 Are based on 102 die, but 3070 is based on 104 die!
So you should compare 6800 to 3070ti that is Also using 102 die and use about 300w based on ”leaks”... Lets see the real Numbers when that gpu is released.
You should compare normal 3070 to amd 6700xt, when it is released, because it is based on navi22 chip. But now because neither 6700xt nor 3070ti Are not yet released people make these odd comparisons because They have nothing else to compare with!

all in all 6800 is subtantial faster than 3070... on the other hand 3070ti will be really close, maybe faster so Lets wait few weeks and see who takes the upper middle range in speed and power usage wise!

Nov 6, 2020
I think it is interesting as to how the Nvidia cards have been roasted (pun intended) for their advertised power draw and wattage requirements not to mention their heat output but the AMD cards are also in that same ballpark and the lower numbers are not always in favor of AMD.
Below are the advertised power draw figures in watts:
3070=220 watts, 6800= 250 watts
3080 320 watts, 6800xt= 300 watts
I do not see where there is enough difference to warrant a massive difference in the heat output and also if a persons PSU is running that close on headroom regardless of which brand competing card you choose according to the advertised power draw figures then either could well require a PSU upgrade.
Just thought this was interesting as these issues are made out to be such a negative for Nvidia but there seems to be no mention of these same issues concerning the AMD cards

The two companies rate their cards differently when it comes to power. Nvidia uses TDP whereas AMD uses TBP (total board power). The AMD card is much more efficient with that taken into consideration.