Question AsRock Taichi X99 Powered On While Plugging in PCI-X Card

npolite

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hi All,

Like the title says, my AsRock X99 Taichi somehow powered on when I installed a PCI-X Sata card. I was trying to debug an issue I had with a new Z690 build (Thanks Intel's new IRST which does not work with BR burnder) and wanted to test something out on this my gaming PC. I don't know how this happened but as I put the card in the system came on. In any case the PCI-X card started smoking and I shut down everything. Card has been removed and I believe everything is fine now. I'm just wondering if there is damage to the rest of the board components or I should just scrap it? I have a 5700XT which seems to be ok and I ran it for about 15 minutes without any issues on this board. Any input would be appreciated. I have a spare Gigabyte board I can replace it with, how about the PSU?

Thanks

npolite

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
If everything seems to be operational (except the offending card you tried to install), count your lucky stars and proceed as normal. Just in case, now would be a good time to verify that your data backup plan is solid.

Thanks. I didn't actually see any smoke but smelled the card. This is just a gaming PC as I have a separate one for browsing/data etc so it only has game installs. I am planning on upgrading this at some point in the next month or two. Was more concerned about the 5700xt which I bought used 2 months ago off of Ebay.

npolite

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
You indicated the 5700 was okay earlier. I assume it is fine as well based on what you wrote.

Was it previously used for crypto mining?

It probably was, I don't think a seller ever mentions it though and listed it was tested for 30 minutes with a burn in test. It needs a clean out at some point.