[SOLVED] ASRock Taicih X570: Sudden Reboots + Ram stuck in 2144 Mhz

Aug 15, 2021
Hello,

I was a life-long Mac user. After more than 20 years with Mac, I moved to PC this year mainly because of the Nvidia issue.
So, I am a total noob about how PC operates and BIOS, etc.
I work in 3D design and VFX.

I am experiencing a serious problem that doesn't let me leave the PC to 3D render for hours.
PC is suddenly rebooting itself when the CPU workload is extensive.
When I leave the PC to render at all hours, I find it restarted itself in a couple of hours and abandoned rendering.

What I realize during my search for a solution is,
My motherboard is recognizing my 3600 Mhz Rams as 2144 Mhz, and DRAM Volt to 1.20.
Whatever I do, countless trials, I cannot change it 3600 Mhz / 1.35 Volt.
Loading XMP 2.0 Profile also doesn't work. It always automatically change back to 2144 Mhz / 1.20 Volt.

In the long short,
  • I want to use my Rams with 3600 Mhz.
  • And I want to solve the sudden reboot problem.
And unfortunately, I have almost zero experience with how PC operates and BIOS, etc.

My configuration:
Motherboard:
ASRock X570 Taichi
ASRock BIOS Ver: 3.40
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 EVGA XC3 Ultra Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3600
SSD: Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000X 1000W
Thunderbolt Expansion Card: Gigabyte Alpine Ridge
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact

Hello,

I was a life-long Mac user. After more than 20 years with Mac, I moved to PC this year mainly because of the Nvidia issue.

I am experiencing a serious problem that doesn't let me leave the PC to 3D render for hours.
When I leave the PC to render at all hours, I find it restarted itself in a couple of hours and abandoned rendering.

My motherboard is recognizing my 3600 Mhz Rams as 2144 Mhz, and DRAM Volt to 1.20.
Loading XMP 2.0 Profile also doesn't work. It always automatically change back to 2144 Mhz / 1.20 Volt.

In the long short,
And unfortunately, I have almost zero experience with how PC operates and BIOS, etc.

My configuration:
Motherboard:
ASRock X570 Taichi
In which slots out of the 4 of the motherboard are the 2 RAM dimms installed?

Hello,

In the long short,

My configuration:
Motherboard:
ASRock X570 Taichi
Your quite ways behind with the bios.
Visit the mobo site and get the latest version.
While your there get the chipset driver.
See if it makes a diff.

Aug 15, 2021
Asrock motherboards (at least the AM4 ones) is most likely to have problems if you install the RAM at A1,B1 slots. If you read your motherboard manual (page 26 and 27) you will see that they never refer to an A1,B1 configuration but just A2,B2 for dual channel.

Thanks for the spot-on information Stefanos.
It did not assemble the parts of the PC. As I mentioned that I have zero experience, I had a paid service from a computer guy to build the PC after I have gathered all the pieces.
Now I am learning the tech side of PC step by step as I have to cope with problems. I may count more than ten cases that I have to figure out and solved :) To be honest, I never had to do any effort with Mac in 20 years.

If I also overcome the sudden reboot problem by fixing the RAM issue, do you still suggest I update the BIOS to the most recent version?
Because in many places I read "do not update the BIOS if it is working fine".
And also in many ASRock Taichi cases in forums, they were suggesting to downgrade the BIOS version to overcome some problems. What I understand is the earlier BIOS versions are the problem-free ones.

Thanks for the spot-on information Stefanos.
It did not assemble the parts of the PC. As I mentioned that I have zero experience, I had a paid service from a computer guy to build the PC after I have gathered all the pieces.
Now I am learning the tech side of PC step by step as I have to cope with problems. I may count more than ten cases that I have to figure out and solved :) To be honest, I never had to do any effort with Mac in 20 years.

If I also overcome the sudden reboot problem by fixing the RAM issue, do you still suggest I update the BIOS to the most recent version?
Because in many places I read "do not update the BIOS if it is working fine".
And also in many ASRock Taichi cases in forums, they were suggesting to downgrade the BIOS version to overcome some problems. What I understand is the earlier BIOS versions are the problem-free ones.
If the computer works as expected then there is no reason to update the bios. If you keep having problems then you should try and update the bios and see if this fix anything. I also don't believe there is a rule that the older BIOS version are always problem-free. Usually the first BIOS of a CPU generation are most likely to have problems and after some releases of newer versions then the problems are solved.

Aug 15, 2021
If the computer works as expected then there is no reason to update the bios. If you keep having problems then you should try and update the bios and see if this fix anything. I also don't believe there is a rule that the older BIOS version are always problem-free. Usually the first BIOS of a CPU generation are most likely to have problems and after some releases of newer versions then the problems are solved.

Thanks Stefanos.
I installed the Ram at A2, B2 slots. And now BIOS loaded the XMP 2.0 template and the RAM working at 3600 Mhz.

But, shortly after a new problem occurred now. The chipset fan started to make a constant noise.
I opened a new topic for that issue. If you think that the new issue is related to the previous one, and know any fix for that, please contribute to the new topic:
Question - ASRock Taicih X570: Chipset Fan Noise (SB_Fan) | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

TRENDING THREADS