Review ASRock TRX40 Creator Review: a Threadripper Value?

Dec 14, 2019
This board is absolutely at the top of my short list. Allows 4 double wide gpus for distributed computing and is inexpensive in comparison to all the other TRX40 boards that only allow 3 cards at max.

This board and a 3960X will replace my aging Xeon four card host which is severely lacking in the math compute performance compared to Ryzen and Threadripper.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This board is absolutely at the top of my short list. Allows 4 double wide gpus for distributed computing and is inexpensive in comparison to all the other TRX40 boards that only allow 3 cards at max.

This board and a 3960X will replace my aging Xeon four card host which is severely lacking in the math compute performance compared to Ryzen and Threadripper.
This is exactly the type of response I was hoping to hear.

Dec 16, 2019
Amazing looking board, ticks all the boxes while costing less.
Oh and I can clear up the 4 gpu for you pretty easily, as I'll be running it with 4 gpu's:
VFX industry is moving towards GPU rendering and a lot of people will max out their boxes with 4 gpu's to have faster rendertime. Renderengines such as Redshift, Octane, Arnold, Vray, Renderman, all have gpu capabilities in some form or are build around gpu rendering.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I am very impressed with this board. Does give a lot of punch for features. A type C connector for front panel, USB 2 for front panel and USB 3.2 (My case has all three of those connectors) other boards lack type C or USB 2. Back panel is weak for USB's but there are plenty of connectors to add to them. Q code, reset and power button. Clear CMOS and Flash button on back.

No RGB on the board itself except headers - I call that a very cool feature!

There is also a thing called PCIe extenders or cables - even PCIe4x ones now for using those slots anyway you want.

VRMs are one of the weakest but still overkill for 32 cores and down and for stock settings which are almost as fast as the best OC scores. I would most likely use stock settings to maximize any boost frequency for gaming besides more productive type work.

Great review.

Reactions: Crashman