ASRock Unveils Motherboards Made for Bitcoin Mining

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombebomb

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Way to little WAY too late, GPU mining is dead. The only way this will be purchased is to stuff those GPU slots with ASIC miner cards. Which I don't think are "out" quite yet.

americanbrian

Distinguished
The company that makes them is in a conundrum RE: ASICS... The longer they delay launching them the more bitcoin they can mine themselves. I absolutely believe that they will only ship once the competitive advantage they have with them cools down a bit.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Anyone joining the game is way past the curve at this point. 2 years ago you could have paid off your GPU purchase with the proceeds, and perhaps made some profit if your electric rates were low. Now, even with the higher valuations of bitcoins, you won't even get your investment back.

bombebomb

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Way to little WAY too late, GPU mining is dead. The only way this will be purchased is to stuff those GPU slots with ASIC miner cards. Which I don't think are "out" quite yet.

decembermouse

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
ASIC mining has long eclipsed GPU and CPU mining. Even with one of the more common (and affordable) ASIC miners, the Block Erupter, which runs at ~333Mh/s, you'll likely never make a ROI. It will probably never even pay for itself at this point, since they've tripled in price in the past couple weeks. More expensive miners from KNC and BFL may not ship when you want them to, and don't always have great warranties. If you want to get into mining, wait for the Block Erupter price to go below $20 USD and get one for fun, but don't expect to make any money off of it. Or, run your GPU (AMD cards are better for mining) to help heat your house in the winter. Alternately, just run Folding@Home...

In terms of this motherboard, it's way too late for it to make a difference in the mining network, and if you get it expecting to mine, you're throwing your money away.

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
For Bitcoins, GPU mining is dead. However, it is still profitable to mine alt-coins with GPUs. I've been mining the second most popular coin (Litecoin) all summer with 2x HD5850s. As ASICs are not available for Litecoin, there is still room for investing in a mining rig. Would I, though? Nope.

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
one of these days people will realize bitcoins have no real value aside from the time wasted mining them. Once this happens, bitcoins will crash harder and faster than any economy ever created.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
one of these days people will realize bitcoins have no real value aside from the time wasted mining them. Once this happens, bitcoins will crash harder and faster than any economy ever created.

That paper in your wallet has "real value"? Oh yeah that's right I forgot, we've never seen a government backed currency crash into the ground.

Anyways, obviously bitcoin is still experimental. Nobody should be investing money they can't afford to lose. And nobody should be bothering with it with GPUs. The days of cheap/amateur BTC mining are over.

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"That paper in your wallet has "real value"? Oh yeah that's right I forgot, we've never seen a government backed currency crash into the ground."

it may not have 'real value', i understand that but at least its legal tender for debts and can pay my taxes with it. its a real currency, bitcoin is just a script kiddies wet dream.

lunix

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
"it may not have 'real value', i understand that but at least its legal tender for debts and can pay my taxes with it. its a real currency, bitcoin is just a script kiddies wet dream."

More and more "legit" places accept bitcoins, and there is no sign bitcoin exchanges will disappear any time soon. So having bitcoins is like having any foreign currency: you have to exchange it to pay your bills, of find a provider that accepts it. There are even bitcoin ATMs now.

HKILLER

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
ok so after reading Bitcoin Wiki i get it that's it's a virtual currency and you can do stuff with it and there are shops where you can spend em but how can you earn em?and what does it have to do with having like 4 or 5 graphic cards in 1 rig?like you do actual work and you get paid or something?or no you just let your computer process as a host server for the Bitcoin wallet program?(so they would use your processing power and instead they pay you virtual coins)if it's the second one it's not worth it.the power consume and dangers of getting hacked or someone overloading a server and having your components burn out makes it worse...it will most probably need a really high speed internet to work 24/7 too....did i get it right?

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Buy US dollars, Canadian dollars, Euros, ect... it's easy and immediate.

Now try and buy bitcoins ..... Don't try and use PayPal, a bank, credit cards. Buying them is just weird, it's not easy or fast; however it can be done. Mail a cheque or wire money and... wait. (yes ATM's are popping up, = insert real money).

Now try selling them, ...good luck. Kijiji and go meet a stranger, or eBay on a small scale.

The more I look into it, the more I think a small group of people have millions of these coins and they are making a fortune in real money; unloading them on the public. The idea was/is brilliant! A Ponzi on a scale never before scene?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
completely dead, even with PCI express, it is useless.

The way it is done now is a 50 port USB hub, and a bunch of USB based miners

USB asic miners use about 2 watts of power and can do 300-400 MH/s, compare to a GPU doing around 500-600MH/s but at nearly 200 watts.

A single USB 2 connection to a PC from a HUB handling 50 USB ASIC miners, can be handled with bandwidth to spare.

bitcoin mining is extremely computationally expensive but it is also very low bandwidth and thus does not benefit from a very fast connection.

USB is the interface of choice as it is easy to swap in faster hardware.

itsmekirill

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Bitcoin is awful. Imagine if all the resources wasted on mining bitcoins, which have no intrinsic utility, went to something useful. This is why our money is made out of paper and not gold. At least gold has some actual uses, unlike hashes with x leading zeros.

itsmekirill

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Bitcoin is awful. Imagine if all the resources wasted on mining bitcoins, which have no intrinsic utility, went to something useful. This is why our money is made out of paper and not gold. At least gold has some actual uses, unlike hashes with x leading zeros.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
A WAY better use of this motherboard is to load it up with GPUs and crunch Folding@home or another useful distributed computing project. I'm not sure what good bitcoin does. Does it compute anything useful?

um-yeah

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
So where can I get one of these mobos? Newegg still doesn't list them. I'm building a mining rig today (for scrypt-based e-currencies, not Bitcoin specifically.)

To any cryptocurrency naysayers, do your homework. Understand that a mathematically nonrepudiateable peer-to-peer ledger of transactions has value in itself. A viable currency in a state of engineered permanent deflation has value in itself. A currency which is not subject to the manipulation of any sovereign nation is superior to conventional fiat money in that respect.

But for those who can only think in dollars, be informed that I've personally earned the equivalent of 800 USD over the past month mining mostly Litecoin on three GPU's and some Bitcoin on a small handful of USB ASICs. Transferring between regular US-based bank accounts and online e-currency exchanges is slightly awkward at present, this is true - thanks to some selective and opportunistic USG law enforcement actions. But this impairment is surely temporary, and the mobility of e-currency in & out of the legacy banking system will continue to improve. For now, international bank wires are sufficient for that purpose. European bank account holders have many more options for transferring with e-currency exchanges than do US bank account holders at the present time.

For several years now, the United Nations has been calling for a deflationary and independent e-currency. Now it is really happening! It is a very positive thing.

As for the wasteful use of resources criticism, again do your homework. The present computationally expensive "proof of work" validation scheme will eventually be supplanted by some other scheme such as "proof of ownership." And by the way, the ability to trade with other human beings has value in itself. Surely, it is a worthy expenditure of at least some resources. The question becomes, "How much is that actually worth?" There is really no option other than to let the markets decide. But if the underlying problem is that electricity prices have been artificially depressed due to government subsidies, then solve that problem for what its true nature is. Or be lazy and don't solve it, but send your complaint where it belongs.

PeteTy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
5 double wide slots?
the card must be 10" long past that audio plug header
is this bigger than eatx?
does anyone make a box big enough?

i recently got a 670Ti and found it wouldnt fit on ANY matx board
the ASRock board was the only board i coud find that look like it could take it...
but the spacing of the three slots makes it look like it cant possibly take 2 cards much less the three provided
the spacing isnt right for any sli jumper but the newer motherboards seem to supply these with the boards

Status
Not open for further replies.