ASRock X370 Taichi AMD Ryzen Socket AM4 ATX Motherboard Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

But is that necessarily the norm? Sure, between the two of us my wife & I have 2 smartphones, 2 tablets, 2 Roku devices (1 box, 1 stick), 1 game console (Wii), & 3 PCs...but only 1 of those PCs is a desktop, & everything that could be hardwired (i.e. printer & Wii) is hardwired -- the Roku box is the WiFi-only version, & the Roku stick doesn't take Ethernet.

My brother-in-law has a similar situation: they have at least 3 tablets & 4 PCs, but even though 3 of their PCs are desktops they have a common computer room -- mainly because a) his sons' PCs are primarily used for e-schooling, & b) because they like having their own LAN party setup for the games they like to play together -- so their primary Wi-Fi usage is for their tablets, the laptop, their Wii, & their Roku box.

Dreuseff

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
I currently use a open source router to bridge my wifi to my 2nd floor computers. I am hoping the included m.2 wifi on the taichi works really well. I may pick up extension cables so the antenna are not stuck up against the metal case.

There are plenty of ryzen benchmarks and conjecture of the new architecture's performance. I am more interested in hearing about the taichi itself. I did appreciate the post and the authors observations and opinions, especially in these early days where there just isn't very much to go on and nobody seems to be able to get a hold of this mobo in particular.

Ramin rostami

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
yes these 2 has ram ECC (ryzen cpu itself has many technology, just hide them for future updates)

x370 taichi
GIGABYYE AX370 gaming K7

VirpZ

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
The cons are hilarius:

Could have done without the Wifi - Really ? Don't like wifi ? Simple disable it.

Too many UEFI options enabled - Sure somebody with the right skills will use this as an excuse to buy this board. PLUS, otherwise, don't mess with it.

Pretty <mod edit> review.
Why more means less to you ?

<Watch your language in these threads>

I see you have only been here a short while, yet chose to let loose the dogs of war with post number 4,

Let me make something perfectly clear, abuse to staff, moderators and other users is not tolerated ... for we hold them dear,

Clean up your language and behave in a more positive manner ... and I won't have to get out the banhammer.

:)

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

It's not a question of enabling or disabling it, but rather a question of if the feature brings something extra to the table. Sure, they mention LAN parties, but I would imagine that the majority of LAN parties allow for you to hardwire your PC into the router, rather than relying on the WiFi. Gaming over WiFi is fine for LAN play, but whether you're a gamer or not it's a given that Ethernet connections are still more stable (& generally faster) than WiFi connections. For a laptop or tablet, WiFi is essential, because your PC is mobile; for a desktop, however, you're not mobile, & the majority of PC users (gaming or non-gaming) are going to install their PC near where their router & modem are...so a built-in WiFi adapter on a desktop motherboard is truly superfluous.

Per the review, they were comparing its UEFI to that of other boards in the same market segment, hence saying there were "too many" options enabled by default. They weren't saying that having the options available wasn't nice...just that perhaps some of those options didn't need to be enabled by default.

Maybe because of the "less is more" phrase? Maybe because adding extra options just for the sake of adding options isn't as impressive (& certainly not as cost-effective) as adding extra options to provide specific capabilities (like, say, offering hand-stitched leather seats & heated cupholders in construction vehicles)?

Status
Not open for further replies.