[SOLVED] ASRock X470 Taichi Post Code 15, B7 With Viper Memory

Feb 18, 2019
I am currently putting together a new computer with an X470 Taichi with Patriot Viper RAM (PV416G340C6K) and upon booting the system I keep getting post codes 15, b7, and 36. The Dr. Debug guide says that these are memory related problems and moreover this memory (PV416G340C6K) is supported by this board : https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470 Taichi/index.asp#MemoryPR . I have tried one stick, in every slot two sticks in all permutations of slots to no avail. I am kind of at a loss at what is wrong here. Any help will be much appreciated!

My build can be found at : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LtxJdX

Solution
Ok, I tried with CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 LED. Same issue. I made sure they were secure and checked that they should be slots 2, 4 from left to right. Board keeps cycling post code 15, 36, b7 and sometimes 4f.
I managed to find the bios post codes you're having here (in case you need it later)
So basically these codes mean as follows:
15: Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started
36: CPU post-memory initialization. System Management Mode (SMM) initialization
b7: Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.
4f: DXE IPL is...

yugithedestiny2030

Commendable
Jan 29, 2019
According to QVL, your mobo only supports up to 3200MHz from Patriot, and this exact module isn't supported. That said, it should still work because QVL doesn't list all the modules out there. Did you try updating the bios?

Feb 18, 2019
According to QVL, your mobo only supports up to 3200MHz from Patriot, and this exact module isn't supported. That said, it should still work because QVL doesn't list all the modules out there. Did you try updating the bios?
Thanks for the response! I have not updated the bios. Is this possible to do with out being able to get a display to the bios? (I can't get any video from the motherboard). I am a novice at this BTW.

yugithedestiny2030

Commendable
Jan 29, 2019
Thanks for the response! I have not updated the bios. Is this possible to do with out being able to get a display to the bios? (I can't get any video from the motherboard). I am a novice at this BTW.
It's okay, just make sure of all connections and if you happen to have other DDR4 sticks lying around, try them out (in case it's slot problem).

Feb 18, 2019
It's okay, just make sure of all connections and if you happen to have other DDR4 sticks lying around, try them out (in case it's slot problem).
No spare parts laying around, getting these in the next hour : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000) C16 1.35V Desktop Memory - White PC Memory CMK16GX4M2D3000C16W

I hope they work.

I will try updating bios if they do and try the patriot ones again since it does not look like ASRock has a way to update the BIOS without a display.

yugithedestiny2030

Commendable
Jan 29, 2019
No spare parts laying around, getting these in the next hour : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000) C16 1.35V Desktop Memory - White PC Memory CMK16GX4M2D3000C16W

I hope they work.

I will try updating bios if they do and try the patriot ones again since it does not look like ASRock has a way to update the BIOS without a display.
Try looking up your mobo manual. It should say in which order you insert RAM (usually it's 1st and 3rd slot) So try that if you haven't or just try it again in case. And make sure they're properly seated.

Feb 18, 2019
Try looking up your mobo manual. It should say in which order you insert RAM (usually it's 1st and 3rd slot) So try that if you haven't or just try it again in case. And make sure they're properly seated.
Ok, I tried with CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 LED. Same issue. I made sure they were secure and checked that they should be slots 2, 4 from left to right. Board keeps cycling post code 15, 36, b7 and sometimes 4f.

yugithedestiny2030

Commendable
Jan 29, 2019
I managed to find the bios post codes you're having here (in case you need it later)
So basically these codes mean as follows:
15: Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started
36: CPU post-memory initialization. System Management Mode (SMM) initialization
b7: Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.
4f: DXE IPL is started (video card related)
  1. You'll need to take it a part and check if any CPU pins are bent, clean any slots and make sure there's no dust blocking them or anything.
  2. After that, you should clear CMOS (reset bios to default) manually according to the manual (p. 8&30). Videos here and here will help you understand what that means and how to do it.
  3. After finding your way though board and placing the jumper according to the manual, put everything back carefully (if the processor came with a stock heatsink install it instead of what you have)
  4. power up your system (preferably with just one RAM at first in 1st slot). If everything went right, try the RAM in the other slots, then fill the slots up according to manual one by one. Hopefully this works.
*I don't need to tell you that you have to be careful not ruin anything and if you're hesitant just check some local computer store or so to help.
*also sorry for late response.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS