Question Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 CPU and DRAM leds turn on at boot

MonkCanatella

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
Build:
Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.
When powered on, the CPU and DRAM leds light up red. The power button doesn't turn the machine back off even if held, so must be switched off from PSU.
List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.
  1. reseated ram
    1. tried each stick individually in a2 slot
  2. removed GPU
  3. removed SSD
  4. Removed CPU (doesn't even power on without CPU)
  5. put CPU back in and removed addressable rgb (I had the hardest time figuring out where to plug this part in. It was the m/b d-rgb 3 pin from the P400a) by the end, the only thing actually plugged in was the CPU and the same error happened. all responded with same issue
  6. tried the cpu and ram with the 12v atx plugged in

Anyone have any experience with this mobo? The leds have the same error no matter what, so it's hard for me to tell what's going wrong here.

Edit: the led lights have a weird behavior. For a the first few seconds, they stay on CPU and DRAM. then they move around a bit, going to boot, and VGA, before eventually settling back on CPU and DRAM.

Think I may have gotten a faulty motherboard?

Last edited:

MonkCanatella

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
The system will not boot without a CPU, GPU, or memory. Those must be installed to post.

You must also connect the GPU to the display (not to the motherboard video ports, your Ryzen 3600 lacks an integrated video adapter).

I tried with the GPU, CPU and one mem stick in and got the same error as before.

MonkCanatella

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
Does anything appear on your display? Do you have the PCIe power connected between the GPU and your PSU?

Nothing appears on the display no, and yes the PCIe is connected properly, double and triple checked that.

Is there any way to rule either RAM or MOBO? My gut feeling is that it's one of the two. I've heard mixed reports of both.

MonkCanatella

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
Do you have access to any DDR4 memory (working) that you can swap into the system? If so, that could help isolate the problem.

I do not unfortunately. I would've tried that immediately. I'm gonna return the mobo. I'm almost certain that's it. Probably just wait for the x570 tomahawk based on the reviews