ASRock X99 Extreme3 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

chenw

Honorable
In the 3D games benchmarks, you have CPU labeled as i7-4790k.

Unless I completely missed something, that is a typo, 4790k cannot be paired with a X99 motherboard.

chenw

Honorable
In the 3D games benchmarks, you have CPU labeled as i7-4790k.

Unless I completely missed something, that is a typo, 4790k cannot be paired with a X99 motherboard.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Recycled charts, it could take a while to replace the typo version with the corrected version. Thanks for pointing this out.

Recycled charts, it could take a while to replace the typo version with the corrected version. Thanks for pointing this out.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
As I understand most current single graphics cards run fine at pcie3 8x, so staying sans switches and running perminantly at 8x/8x/8x +M.2 4x would have been an interesting option. Ah well.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
As we all know some (if not all) Apple laptops come without a CD drive, some do not have a Ethernet jack (WiFi only), obviously everyone heard about the new laptop with USB 3.1 being the only jack on the laptop.

I am not saying Intel and motherboard manufacturers need to go to that extreme, but we have reached a point where removing some of these old ports will allow manufacturers to save money and pass them to the buyer.

Is there really a need for a PS/2 port on a performance motherboard? Why not remove all the USB 2.0 ports and maybe add 2 more USB 3.0 ports.

I recently purchased a MSI motherboards called GAMING 5, it is a gaming motherboard (duhh), marketed towards people on the gaming/performance side. Obviously anyone buying this board in the retail store is buying it with an intent to play games, and almost no one who games in 2015 uses a VGA or DVI ports, it also has PS/2 port.

I am paying for these useless features that regular people almost no longer use, let alone gamers or people who are into PC building. You can include a HDMI to VGA or DVI adapter just in case someone out there still needs them.

I think they need to start removing some of the legacy ports and chips and make boards cleaner, cheaper and more affordable to manufacture and buy.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Sigh.. I know that in order to make things cheaper you need to compromise but only 4 ram slots for an X99 platform? To me, a big reason to go X99 is the idea that I can run LOTS of ram. What is the point of going X99 if you only want the lower end 6 core with less PCIe lanes and only 4 ram slots?

Call me crazy or missing the point but I would almost rather save even more and just stick with Z97.

ShermOR

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
It's not time to be buying. We need X99 & Z97 motherboards with NVMe enabled EUFI BIOS, USB 3.1 Type A & C front and rear & bootable NVMe M.2 3.0 4X . No MB's or cases support all these specs now.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Hmm, not keen on a top-end board without a debug post LED.

Btw, Filippo's SLI article implies 3-way SLI at x8/x4/x4 would likely work,
since his tests showed no limitations with 2-way at x8/x8, but of course
NV doesn't support it. See the section entitled, "How Many PCIe Lanes
Do You Need?".

Ian.

logainofhades

Titan
This board, to me, would only be useful for a non overclocking workstation rig, that doesn't need more than 32gb of ram. Otherwise, spend a little more and get at least the extreme 4.

Edit* After looking at the prices on PCpartpicker, this board is pointless, unless it becomes much cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme3 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $174.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-28 13:52 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($192.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $192.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-28 13:53 EDT-0400

I really hope the MSI X99S SLI Plus gets reviewed soon. It looks to be a promising budget board for X99.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
It's not time to be buying. We need X99 & Z97 motherboards with NVMe enabled EUFI BIOS, USB 3.1 Type A & C front and rear & bootable NVMe M.2 3.0 4X . No MB's or cases support all these specs now.

That will be a very expensive system, life is too short to wait until all that hits the market and becomes somewhat affordable.

I was kinda thinking what do I really gain over a z97 overall for less ?? and why to this day cant intel give 2 full 32 lanes native on all chips min. [like amd ] with out all the cutting into and having to share and loose a slot lane ??? you get 2 slots at say x8 each but you add a card to a 3ed slot that now makes the 2ed slot x4 ??

just seems to me intel could improve on this but then I guess they cant charge that extra for plx support ???

DIY motherboards are a very different market segment than ultraportable laptops. In the latter you've got some people who are absolutely manic about having the absolute smallest, thinnest, lightest thing available, even if it removes commonly used features. Here we're still about products that are meant to be fairly robust and broad in what they cover. I do understand and agree a little in that some things can be trimmed off current boards.

Enough gamers still clamor and swear by PS/2 connectors over USB for keyboards, so this is mfrs still listening to their customers.

This is a limitation of the mboard chipset. Both Z97 and X99 only have six USB3 ports natively in the chipset To add more requires add-in controllers, which ups the price. Besides which, what would you use more than six USB3 ports for? The only things that take advantage of the extra bandwidth are large storage devices. Every other peripheral like mice, keyboards, scanners, and printers are perfectly happy at USB2 speeds. A USB network adapter might push USB2 to its limit, but considering the limitations of most ISPs and the fact you've got a gigabit Ethernet jack already, this is a non-issue.

I agree that VGA ports should be removed from most boards now, certainly anything at the Z or X level. Those consumers buying motherboards that want to use integrated video on VGA only monitors are definitely not buying high performance parts. I think an integrated video port is still a helpful troubleshooting tool if you need to remove the DGPU. I think DVI is still more common than HDMI or DP, so I'm ok having that on a board. Also, you can get multi-display out across both integrated and discrete GPU, so having the video jack on an H97 board makes sense as the user might get a weaker dGPU without the right mix of video outs they want.

But no, I don't know why VGA ports are still taking up space on higher-level mboards ( unless they're being used exclusively for servers. )

Again, I agree to a point, but remember X99 makes sense to the server and workstation crowd and not just extreme gaming. Plenty of those people still have parallel or serial port dongles for older legacy code and peripherals.

I wouldn't mind seeing a division in product lines, something where basic home and office products still had the legacy ports and others did away with them. I don't know what that would do to mfr costs to make more product lines, though.

Ok then, you're a little crazy. ;) 28 PCIe lanes are more than 16 and 6 cores are more than 4. Someone that wants some low-level server use and can saturate every CPU thread will get better use out of the 5820K than they will out of the 4790K. A low-level 5820K build will run you about $750 for CPU, mboard, and 4-way 16GB RAM. The 5930K is already $180 more than that, and if you want to use all eight RAM slots, that's going to cost upwards of $700 or more for RAM alone.

ShermOR

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Where is a PCIe addin card for USB 3.1 with rear A & C and front panel support via 5 1/4 bay with A & C. The Asus card was close but only offers rear connections.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015

Depending on revisions DVI is superior to HDMI, also slightly cheaper if you already have the cable, or a nice back up if your hdmi cable gets ruined.

Yes, shaving costs by removing legacy connectors for the niche 'richie can afford to upgrade everything all the time' market sounds nice; except you won't sell nearly as many of that model in some markets around the world so retooling costs push the price back up again. At that point it's already not worth doing, BEFORE even considering the design, test, and certification costs for a new model.

ShermOR

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Check out this link.
http://wccftech.com/colorful-unveils-skylake-z170-chipset-based-motherboards-features-socket-lga-1151-officially-launching-september/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember that with most boards dropping from a 40-lane 16-16-8 to a 28-lane 16-8-4 when all lanes are on slots, dropping from 8-16-8 with 4 left over to 8-8-8 with four left over is still an option. And re-arranging the sltos would make that 16-8-8 for marketing purposes. But, I'd rather just see a few switches added.

USB 2.0 ports are dirt cheap though and adding more controllers for USB 3.0 adds cost. And the non-native ports are often inactive until after the driver is loaded. You don't need USB 3 for your keyboard and mouse, so leave them be :)

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Thomas and other Tom employees:

How many of you ask the Manufacturers for various exploits and back doors in the Hardware? E.g.,

1) well documented UEFI access or backdoor. Windows 8 gained high notoriety for this case. Refer:

The NSA as APT, and all your BIOS is belong to them
http://seclists.org/isn/2013/Sep/93

2) this is even a biggie pertaining to Intel CPUs. Did anyone find more by checking with Intel on the 'RdRand' CPU instruction?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not certain this is the correct forum to discuss your query. Please meet me tomorrow at 6:15PM at the park 1.2 miles from your home (not the closer park). I'll be in the white panel van.

Joking aside, we're not privy to any more information than that which is already publicly available. Concerning motherboards, I don't believe any of these manufacturers are privy to any more information than that which is already publicly available.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Interesting answer. This 'Five Eyes' global criminality has gone too far. It's a very dangerous game played with the peoples lives, secrets (personal or business or whatever) and privacy. Of course, a few nations should have joined by now. More dangerous to overlook the risks of losing business secrets and data breaches.

Anyway, I've already commissioned a highly localized programme to fully design and develop new open hardware based on ARM 64-bit chips for some key internal systems which need utmost security.

I'm pondering to make a fully indigenous and localized Linux distribution packed with highly sophisticated encryption systems. Supported CPUs ARM 32/64 bit CPUs and few other which I won't name here. The goal is to eliminate all Intel and AMD CPUs from critical systems. But the planned distro will not be installed on offline machines which run tons of Graphics chips for R&D etc. I'm skipping many intrinsic design details here.

The effort should take about an year or so given the requirements with hardware and software. Yes, it costs some good money but I don't bother because peace of mind really matters.

I already use ~50% Linux on various machines (Servers, Workstations and Laptops; 500+ in total); Macs are about 30%, Windows at ~20%. Some 5% are FreeBSD OpenSolaris derivatives.

All Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Pro machines will be phased out gradually in 2-3 years. I can't do it right now because of business requirements. Nevertheless, I've completely redesigned my two networks, thus making all Windows machines completely offline. No one will be allowed to connect with them with USB and Wireless devices etc. They'll risk termination of their employment.

Lastly, I will not buy any Windows OS in the future. Also all the US based public e-mail services, cloud services etc are not allowed on the networks. All employees now use ProtonMail.ch as their personal e-mail choice on the company resources.

Pc_Master

Reputable
May 3, 2015
This Is Better Mother Board but I Didn't try that company for me gigabyte is bes i use gigabyte for last 3 years it is better than intel but asrock is cheap n gud

Status
Not open for further replies.