Asrock z77 Extreme 4 - not regulating fan speed

Parafly

Distinguished
May 3, 2012
Hi guys,

This desktop I'm running now was my first build ever, and I did it about 2 years ago. It's an i3770k with 32gb RAM, an Asrock z77 Extreme 4 mobo, corsair hx750 pro psu. It's been running perfectly fine since I built it. I put it into an older HP ATX case that I already had, basically gutted it and put all the new stuff in.

Anyway, Asrock comes with this software called AsRock Tuner. It basically lets you tweak settings within windows. I had my Core i7 moderately overclocked (to 4000 from 3500).

The concern I have is that the fan doesn't automatically adjust based on CPU thresholds. I have four fans in the case, and I am using the stock ones it came with:

• 1 built into the PSU, run by the PSU
    1 at the top of the case (inlet air, I think). This is connected directly to a 3-pin molex from the PSU
    1 at the back of the case (exhaust, I believe). This is connected to the mobo with 3-pins
    1 on the CPU itself. This is the one that came with the i7-3770k.

ASRock-4%20AXTU%20Fan%20Control_575px.png

That screenshot shows the utility screen. Basically, I have CPU FAN1 connected and CHASSIS FAN 3 connected. The other two are non-existant. I noticed I can't automatically have CHASSIS FAN 3 ramp up / down in relation to temperature, and I can't connect it to CHASSIS FAN 1 because that is a 4-pin connector and the fan only has 3.

So, I have a few questions here, because the other day I was transcoding videos out of lightroom and I came back in my office and could smell just a very faint burning type of smell. I looked at the tuner utility and my CPU was at 110 degrees celcius (!!!!) and the chassis fan 3 was just putzing along at level 3 or something.

? How do I get the fan to ramp up automatically when the CPU goes up? Do I need a new fan with a 4-pin connector?
? Why did my CPU get so hot? I have thermal protection enabled in the bios. Shouldn't that have shut off the CPU automatically when it reached a critical threshold?

should i add more fans or get a better case? I like to keep the fans pretty quiet unlless I'm doing a CPU intensive task like transcoding videos or photos or something.

Thanks in advance!

I have a ASRock Z77 Pro 3 and I never trust the fans to adjust correctly. If I am doing simple tasks (and just booted the system) then I leave fans alone. However, once I want to push the system I go into ASRock Utility and ramp up the fans manually. Then I make sure fans are running as they should in OpenHardwareMonitor.

My advice. Don't trust mobos to adjust as needed.

That case seems horrible though. You have great components why are they in a crappy (being nice) HP case? Horrible cooling and not designed for anything like you.

Parafly

Distinguished
May 3, 2012

The case thing was just a result of slow turnover. I started by replacing memory. Then I put in a video card. Then I added in a new USB 3.0 drive. Then I did the big overhaul with the mobo and CPU. It was never a fresh / clean build, I did it over time. The mobo swap would have been the best time to make that change, haha.

I should get a new case but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm assuming a better case would have significantly better airflow ?

Yes, a new case will blow your mind in terms of air flow and ease to install and manage cables. I love HP, owned 2 of them, but their cases are horrid. They just aren't designed for people like you. You reached the point where you need a new case and you'll love the new one. You buying in US?

Parafly

Distinguished
May 3, 2012

Yeah, I'm in the US. I primarily do video editing and SOME gaming on my PC. But mostly photo and video editing (lightroom, photoshop, etc.)

The original PC this case came from was an HP d5200t ATX.
Basically this:

c02019187.jpg

I have five hard drives in my machien now. Two 1.5TB in RAID-1, a 256gb SSD for my primary OS and apps, and 128gb SSD for my editing scratch disks, and another 500gb 7200rpm drive that's just additional storage. Most everything is temporary, it all ends up on a synology NAS in my closet.

5HDDs and 2SSDs in that little case? Wooooohhh. You gotta buy a new case. The airflow must be non existent. For $60usd you can get a really nice case and add some more fans and you'll never have heat issues.

Do you monitor temps (CPU, GPU, HDDs..)using software?

Parafly

Distinguished
May 3, 2012

It's a regular mid-twoer ATX case, but I agree the fans are a bit weak. Just the one on the top right (intake) and left side (exhaust) plus CPU.

Here's the inside. You can see my birds nest cabling job.

computer.jpg

I wasn't actively monitoring temps but I since I hit that ridiculous 105 degrees celcius the other day I downloaded Speedfan. I usually start asrock tuner on boot.

I'm debating if I need a full size vs. mid tower ATX case. As I do a lot of video editing and that chews up space. Right now I woul dlike to pull one of the 500gb HDD and replace with another 1.5TB and make it RAID-5 but I don't think I can do that without a raid controller.

Airflow, obviously, is a big concern. I was also looking at aftermarket CPU coolers yesterday but I don't know if my case is wide enough to fit them (like the Coolermaster).

The first thing I'd do is buy a mid tower case. Then add a good CPU cooler. The intel cooler is crap. You could easily add a Corsair H80i to cool the CPU and overclock it. Then add some more corsair fans. I'd try to get 2/3 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans (one being the H80i). This will massively improve your overall temps.

Also, a new case will put PSU on bottom and allow hot air to go up and out of case. But please get rid of that case. You should have at least 2 front intake fans, and one being unimpeded.

Parafly

Distinguished
May 3, 2012
Thanks again for all the help guys. I ended up getting an R4, lots of video guys apparently use this. I like it a lot. I put an extra fan in the front and a Hyper 212 on the CPU and now I'm running much much cooler. I still was able to remove the middle HDD tray - I have three drives in the bottom and my 2 SSD's mounted behind the motherboard tray.