Asrock z77 Extreme3 + Geforce 770GTX OC

axelgaard

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
I bought these 2 items:
Geforce GTX 770 OC(GFX card) + Asrock Z77Extreme 3(motherboard)

and as far as i can read the Motherboard does have at least 1 PCI 3.0 x16 port for my GFX card, my other stats are 4x4gig 1600mhz kingston value ram, 2 120gig SSD HDD 550/500 read/write, and PSU 850W. CPU is an Intel i5 2500K.

Here comes my problem then, when i install my new GFX card into the new Motherboard start up the computer nothing comes on the screen, i did install the 8 pin and 6 pin cable to the GFX card. and use a DVI cable to my screen. cant figure out whats wrong here.

If i use my old cards 2x Zotac Geforce 560TI it works fine.
when installing the new card it also disables the onboard gfx card.

can someone please give me a clue to what on earth can be wrong here?

Sidenote:
I earlier have tried with a
Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 - Z77 (G1.Sniper M3 and,
Gigabyte GV-N770OC-2GD grafikkort - 2 GB (GV-N770OC-2GD)

installed same way and did not work. this is 2 different cards. what am i missing here?

Solution
In part may depend on the CPU feeding it, the drive, etc...the 770 should perform much better, do you have the latest drivers with the old mobo

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Are you saying that in the exact same built, if you swap back to your old card, everything is OK, but if you put in the new card, nothing happens? Do the fans spin on the 770? Did you manually select the PCI-E display option in UEFI (and speak of, do you have the latest update to UEFI?).

axelgaard

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

If i put my 2 old cards in everything works yes. but with my 770 the fans spin and all, yet theres no display on the screen. about the UEFI im not sure. but ive just been searching on internet and found something im not sure if could be the problem... it says on my motherboard z77 extreme x3 that the PCI-e 3.0 is only active with an Ivy bridge CPU. yet ive got a 2500k wich as far as i can see from searching google is Sandy bridge cpu. am i right? is this what causes it? as the card is 3.0 and if the cpu does not let it run then i can easy fix that buy getting a It 3570K wich should be an Ivy.

axelgaard

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

what? im talking about the CPU not the PSU. PSU got nothing to do with this problem i can asure you that idd, figured that my self :p

ihog

Distinguished
Yes, I know. But most of the time, people upgrade from a single card that draws less power to one that draws more power, and if there is a problem, the first thing to look at is the PSU. Then, if the PSU checks out okay, chances are the card is DOA. I said "If your PSU can power two 560 Ti's, then it can power a 770" because of this.

Your 2500K only supporting PCIe 2.0 is not an issue. PCIe is backwards compatible. That is what I meant by "No, that wouldn't be an issue."

axelgaard

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
so you say that something that is supposed to run on PCI-e 3.0 can run on PCIe 2.0? doesnt seem right but if you as an expert says i guess its right... then any other suggestions to this problem?

ihog

Distinguished
Yes, and that's a pretty well-known fact. You can try using other display connections on the card (other DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort) if your monitor has those connections to see if it's just the DVI connector that is problematic. Personally, even if only one display connection was defective, I would still RMA the card.

But, I believe it is most likely DOA.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

It's all backwards compatible - as long as your CPU can be used on the mobo (and it can) then it will be OK. Your GPU is PCI-e 3.0 capable, but it's also 2.0 compatible, so no problem there. I'm sorry I have to ask but have you tested your 770 in another built?

axelgaard

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
so now i have first uninstalled all drivers connected to the old GPU, updated my Bios to 1.5 useing the asrock webpage (assumed that updating directly to 1.5 was the way to go instead of doing 1.1, 1.2, 1,3, 1.4, 1.5).. did not help, tried resetting my Bios to default settings, did not help either. last thing to try can only be to see if it works in my old Motherboard gigabyte z68x

Edit: ok so i plugged my old motherboard in, and now it works. yet i see no increase in FPS at all in any games. shouldnt there be quite a differense from 560 ti SLI to this?