ASRock z77 Extreme4 onboard audio not enabling

ncasolo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I've recently done an upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10. Part of that upgrade came after I got an Oculus Rift. The audio for the rift presumably comes through USB or HDMI. I've recently decided to add bass shakers to my gaming experience. I've installed a new Sound Blaster Audigy Rx 7.1 surround sound card, but in order to take advantage of it I'm told it can't be my default audio source.

So I'm scratching my head thinking well what about the onboard sound on my motherboard? I never thought to install the drivers for it after I reformatted. I went to the ASRock website and downloaded the Realtek HD 7560 drivers. (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/index.us.asp?cat=Download&os=Win10) and installed them. I still can't find the realtek device anywhere in device manager or when I go to hardware and manage sound.

Incidentally I went ahead and tried plugging in a pair of headphones to the front audio port on my PC. I got nothing. Same with the back. This makes sense since I'm not seeing the audio device anywhere. I pulled out the original CD that came with my motherboard and I don't believe that will be much help. There are some compability modes that seem to need to run just to use it.

I looked for sound in the bios but couldn't find it anywhere. Someone else said when they installed a new sound card that it disabled the onboard sound. I believe that may be my issue as well, but I can't find where I re-enable it so that both are enabled simultaneously.

Solution
It's got to be in the BIOS somewhere, probably under a section labeled "onboard devices" or somesuch. Are you sure you're in the Advanced version of the menu (newer BIOS from AsRock and others tend to boot first into a "basic" settings menu).

But I'm curious as to why you were told the audio card shouldn't be the default. Was a reason given for this?
It's got to be in the BIOS somewhere, probably under a section labeled "onboard devices" or somesuch. Are you sure you're in the Advanced version of the menu (newer BIOS from AsRock and others tend to boot first into a "basic" settings menu).

But I'm curious as to why you were told the audio card shouldn't be the default. Was a reason given for this?

Solution

ZeeDak

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
I have an Asrock z370 extreme 4 MB and by default it's set to auto which means it will disable itself in the bios if you have PCI sound card installed. I found the option to change it to enabled, in the advanced bios menu in the advanced tab. If you keep scrolling down you'll see it.