ASrock z87 Extreme4 Fan Connections

CTrap33

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I am a first time builder and currently putting together the following build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ctrap33/saved/JcHRsY

For reference, here is the mother board user manual, see pages 11 & 12 of this pdf:
ftp://asrock.cn/manual/Z87%20Extreme4.pdf

Now I have plugged in the Hyper Evo 212 fan to the #3 mobo slot and the additional fan that is built into the 300r case I plugged into the #4 mobo slot. The front panel fan built into the case I have connected to #2 mobo slot.

Now to my question, I have three additional 120mm fans. And from the mobo diagram, #26 and #31 are chassis fan mobo slots and #30 is a power fan slot. The problem is, the cougar vortex is a 4 pin connector, while the only fan header that is 4 pin is #26.

Two questions:
1. Can I plug the four pin fan connecter into a three pin mobo header? If not, is there some kind of adapter for this type of thing? If not again, how in the world do I attach these fans?
2. What the hell is the difference between a chassis header and a power header?

Am I doing this wrong? This is confusing the hell out of me.... Hopefully you understand and thanks in advance!

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
4pins will work on 3 pin fan connectors, you just can't controller them quite as easily as a 4 pin. Normally to keep clutter and ugly runs out of my builds I normally us a molex to 4 or 5 4 pin pwm fan controller that I stick to the back of a case with industrial strength Velcro. From there I can set the fans to low medium, or high.

CTrap33

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

Just to be clear, the fan connector is 4 pins, while the motherboard only has 3. This is still ok?
So I won't be able to control the fan speed, will they just run full speed all the time then?

CTrap33

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

These are the fans I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Should I be concerned about the difference between chassis and power fans?

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
Not on a fan that runs at 1500 rpm max. You computer will be fairly silent either way. I have a corsair 200r for my work pc. I have a few noctuas and a few corsair quite edition fans, each run at 1500 rpm and are relatively silent. So you should be good to go.