Question ASRock Z97 Extreme4 M.2 NVMe SSD Detection

Jan 12, 2023
I recently added a WD Blue SN570 NVMe 2TB to the M.2 slot of ASRock Z97 Extreme4. The OS is installed on a separate Samsung 840 EVO SSD drive.

The funny thing is that when I boot the PC, in Windows, the NVMe is not detected, and not showing on either the Disk Management, Explorer, or HWMonitor, etc. However, if when I boot I enter the BIOS setup and exit without saving changes, in Windows, the NVMe is detected with not problems.

I tried increasing the wait time for the boot setup to see if it's a timing issue in detecting the drive but doesn't seem to have an impact.

Any ideas?

BIOS configuration
  • BIOS from ASRock (p2.6)
  • Fast Boot disabled
  • CSM disabled
  • SATA Mode ACHI
  • M2_1 / SATA3_4, SATA3_5 set to Force M.2
BIOS: p2.6 (latest)
Hardware:
ASRock Z97 Extreme4
Intel i5-4690K (OC 4.8 GHz)
G Skills Ares DDR3-2133 4x8GB
AMD RX 6800 XT
Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB (OS)
WD Blue SN570 NVMe 2TB (M.2 slot)
Corsair RM750 ATX

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The M.2 Socket, SATA3_4, SATA3_5 and SATA Express share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.
^ mentioned in the Storage section of specs.
Do you have any other storage drives populating SATA ports 4 and 5?

+
1 x M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3, supports M Key M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x2 (10 Gb/s)
That drive is already made to run slower than it's advertised to go. Disregard this if you intend to upgrade your motherboard/platform that can take advantage of the drive's speeds.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Also, perhaps see if reinstalling your chipset as well as Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, changes anything for you.

Jan 12, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

^ mentioned in the Storage section of specs.
Do you have any other storage drives populating SATA ports 4 and 5?

+

That drive is already made to run slower than it's advertised to go. Disregard this if you intend to upgrade your motherboard/platform that can take advantage of the drive's speeds.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Also, perhaps see if reinstalling your chipset as well as Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, changes anything for you.

Thanks for the reply, the PSU is Corsair RM750 ATX. I do understand the drive performance will be limited. Motherboard upgrade is the plan in the future.

No, I have nothing else plugged to the SATA ports 4 and 5 given it's shared with M.2

I did install all newer drivers from both manufacturer website as well as more recent ones directly from Intel regarding the Z97 chipset and storage.

Unfortunately nothing worked.

I find it really weird that simply by entering the BIOS setup and exiting discarding changes it leads to Windows detecting the drive.