ASRock's X99E-ITX/ac Pairs X99 Chipset With Mini-ITX, Will Cost $249

Status
Not open for further replies.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
This will be perfect if I need ITX and can't wait for Skylake and the Z107 chipset. I expect a 5820k to outperform a 4 core Skylake-K in multi-threading anyway.

I thought the whole point of X99 was the capabilities to do quad channel ram. Could they have not used laptop ram to achieve 4 slots?

Well, untill mobile DDR4 ram is out on the market, that wont be possible for a while and X99 is not compatitble with ddr3 ram last I checked (determined by the cpu).

Although X99 does have 2 other points, Lots of PCI-e lanes (being under-utilize here) and able to use a 8 Core CPU which this board can support.

Having a powerhouse 8-core cpu in a ITX case that you can move from location to location can be a big plus.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I'll guess I'll take this into consideration if I decide to put a gaming computer on my space shuttle. At $1,000/oz. to lift it into orbit, this is a very sensible choice for a space shuttle.

nopass21

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
No onboard video ports and only two ram slots, that narrows the user base a lot.

Ummm...none of the X99 motherboards have onboard video ports, Intel's X99 chipset simply doesn't support it.

Brian McG

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Are there adapters for this socket for liquid coolers?
YES - read the article. It says "along with a water cooling mounting plate. The latter is a metal bracket that you can install on Cooler Master Seidon 120V (Plus) CPU coolers"

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED

i can guarantee you that at least one does. not an ITX, mind you, but a supermicro C7X99-OCE-F, it has a rudimentary onboard graphics chip (AST2400) for server admin.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
If they're wasting so much PCIe headroom, then why not include Thunderbolt ports? Seems to me like they'd be the ideal way to trade a lack of internal expansion for external options, just like the new Mac Pro did. It'd make the board more suitable for use in building powerful small form factor systems, or mini-servers that want high-end storage.

Not keen on the cooler option though; are there are any closed loop liquid coolers compatible with this socket? That would seem a better choice IMO.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

for server use only there are USB3 external VGA Adapters I think ..

BeEpic117

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Something cool I think they could have done with this board is include two PCI-E 16x slots. Since most Mini-ITX cases have two expansion slots, theoretically, you can use two graphics cards (in a custom water cooling setup). Use WBs that only use one slot, and you could (theoretically) have four GPUs in there (if you used dual GPU cards).

Just my two cents.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

That would be a DTX motherboard , Mini ITX motherboards are one slot only and the case has no screws mounts for that extra space , the Motherboard will break if you try to take out the card.

All the cases that are mini ITX which have two slots , dont have screws mounts for DTX motherboard.

The true Solution is to make DTX cases with screws for both Mini ITX and DTX motherboards , only then we can install a DTX mother board in that case without the risk of breaking the board while installing. or you can mod the case and use a drill and drill more screws holes ...

and if you want to install two cards , just get a dual GPU card ... GTX 990 will come for sure , and the Titan X dual will come as well so there is not need for a second slot if you ask me.

John Philips

Reputable
May 3, 2014
Almost perfect, since the cheapest 5820k has 28 pci lanes , 16 for the graphics card and 4 for the m.2 ssd. (asus impact vii fails to achieve this, when you populate the m.2 slot, your pci express 16x goes to 8x). In fact, to be perfect (in my opinion), they should use creative core 3d onboard audio.

scrote

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Sohuld have at least 2*M.2 Connectors. What the hell else are they doing witth all those lanes>

Add some Sata Express while you're at it.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

The PCI Express lanes go straight to the fire control system for the F-22 raptor port. Obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS