[SOLVED] Assassin's Creed CPU usage and cooling

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hey all,

While playing Assassin's Creed: Odyssey on max settings, 1440p, the CPU has been spiking in usage, power use, and temperature.

The issue I'm having is that the aio fans from my evga clc 280 keep revving up (sometimes to max speeds) and slowing down shortly, creating significant noise due to the quick speed changes in the fans. The CPU isn't overheating, but the aio kicks into full fan speed at 60 degrees, and this isn't adjustable.

my specs:

i7-9700k at stock settings
2070 super
z390 aorus pro
corsair rm750x
Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb

I have tried setting the fan curve via evga flow control, and despite trying a few different curves, the rapid changes in cpu temps and fan speeds still occur.

I've noticed it mainly happens in AC:O, and to a much smaller extent WoW, but hasn't been a problem elsewhere.

Any suggestions?

Solution
The two game titles you mention which primarely causes the CPU to heat up resulting in increased fan noise, are both known for being fairly CPU intensive games, putting a lot of stress on the CPU, compared to a lot of other games.

This could also be why you don't notice the issue as much in the other games you play.

There are some online guides which describes the most CPU instensive in-game settings, so people experiencing heat related problems, can try to adjust the visuals in order to put a little less strain on the CPU. I don't know if or how well they work

But apart from the noise, I don't get the impression that you are having any other performance issues, if I'm reading your post correctly?

EDIT : The guides I mentioned are...
The two game titles you mention which primarely causes the CPU to heat up resulting in increased fan noise, are both known for being fairly CPU intensive games, putting a lot of stress on the CPU, compared to a lot of other games.

This could also be why you don't notice the issue as much in the other games you play.

There are some online guides which describes the most CPU instensive in-game settings, so people experiencing heat related problems, can try to adjust the visuals in order to put a little less strain on the CPU. I don't know if or how well they work

But apart from the noise, I don't get the impression that you are having any other performance issues, if I'm reading your post correctly?

EDIT : The guides I mentioned are for the specific titles, not as a general description

Last edited:
Solution

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
@ MadsModsat

You're right, no other issues, outside of the noise, unless the cpu temps spiking from 40 degrees to 60 degrees and power usage spiking from 35 to 120 watts nearly instantly represent problems.

Apart from the increased fan noise, which can be really annoying and stressful, especially in a long gaming session, I don't see anything unusual with the information you've provided here.
CPU temperature and power consumption seem to be correct and safe, and similar to the ones I see with my 9900K, although not exactly as high (even compared with the 280mm AiO I used until recently) - which again seems right, considering you have a 9700K

Unfortunately, I don't really know of any good solutions to your problem. If you are more or less unable to control the fan RPM above 60'c, I don't know what else to suggest.
A custom fan curve would be the obvious solution, but the AiO hardware and software also has to provide the options to do so, and I get the impression you don't have the right options available, from what you are saying

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
I've also read that AC:O also is pretty poorly optimized for CPU, so I guess given my set of circumstances, there's not much I can do outside of lowering game settings.

I appreciate the help.

.. there's not much I can do outside of lowering game settings.

I came across a few different guides for visual settings specifically in AC Oddesey, which supposedly results in improved CPU (and game) peformance.

I haven't been playing any of the more recent AC titles, so I can't really get an impression of the quility of these guides.
So instead of linking to a potentially terrible guide, you could probably find a good one from your knowledge of the game. I found lots of results, eventhough I used fairly unspecific words in my search.

You could see if some of these settings could potentially have a positive impact on your own game / computer setup.

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
So as an update, I changed my pc fan profile for all fans to silent mode via bios (potentially the only way to avoid evga flow control's rigid fan curve), and set a curve with slower ramping fan speeds.

After playing about 30 minutes of AC:O, temps haven't really risen, and my gpu temp even went down 1-2 degrees. Sound situation has improved a bit.

Not sure why, but I'll take it.

Reactions: MadsModsat