Question Assuming old C: (internal SSD) took a dump

Apr 1, 2023
So my old windows drive, a kingston SSD just stopped working. For some reason when it's plugged into my PC my PC won't post or anything. I bought an adapter cable to hook it up to my PC via USB to try and recover some lost data files on it. But it won't show up either in explorer or disk management.

What can I do to recover some of the data on this old drive?

DSzymborski

Titan
This is the cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SXTY64?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

So if it's dead, does that mean the data is unrecoverable?

For an individual, generally yes. Recovery from your backups will be much quicker and much more effective. If the drive can't be read after trying it in multiple devices, you can see if a data recovery lab can do anything about it, but do keep in mind that these services can easily go well into four figures, so utilizing your backups is by far the better option.

Apr 1, 2023
Does the PC still power up? Are the fans spinning? Did you disturb anything prior to the drive failure?

If not, then there may be an easy DIY fix.

No software or hardware changes prior.

It was weird because it wouldn't get past that point where the fans powered on. Fans and stuff would come on but I never got a beep from a post and just a black screen. I put a new drive in there and it will boot up just fine with the new drive. But it's funny because if I try to start up the PC with the old drive plugged in, even with the new drive still as the boot drive, the PC won't get past that same black screen.

If the fans continue to spin, then there is no short circuit. Instead, the SSD is probably stuck in a busy state due to bad NAND. You can leave it powered on in the hope that it repairs itself, but there is not much else in the way of DIY fixes.

Do you know which controller your SSD uses? Model number?

Apr 1, 2023