ASUS 9600XT noise problem

Geo

Hi all

I just bought an ASUS 9600XT/TVD card and am wondering if the
following noises are normal or whether I have a faulty card:

1. When running smartdoctor, there is a continuous squeeking or
clicking sound coming from the card. When smartdoctor is minimised
the noise dissapears. This happens at all fan speeds.

2. When scrolling in IE or any other progam there is a scratch noise
with each scroll. (gets loudest after 5 mins after boot)

3. When moving a window around this noise is continuous.

The noises annoy the hell out of me and a louder than the cpu fan.
Return the card?

Fixed by using ATI drivers instead of ASUS

geo

"geo" <geometrikal@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I just bought an ASUS 9600XT/TVD card and am wondering if the
> following noises are normal or whether I have a faulty card:
>
> 1. When running smartdoctor, there is a continuous squeeking or
> clicking sound coming from the card. When smartdoctor is minimised
> the noise dissapears. This happens at all fan speeds.
>
> 2. When scrolling in IE or any other progam there is a scratch noise
> with each scroll. (gets loudest after 5 mins after boot)
>
> 3. When moving a window around this noise is continuous.
>
> The noises annoy the hell out of me and a louder than the cpu fan.
> Return the card?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Were you able to retain the TVD functions of the card while using the
ati drivers?

Would those be the catalyst drivers?

(New to ati world with the ASUS 9600XT/TVD.. System very unstable
after switching from nvidia to ati.. refirmatted and reinstalled xp
Pro and system is still very unstable... thinking may try real ati
drivers to hopefully fix)

Tony!

On Wed, 5 May 2004 20:44:32 +1000, "Ross Marchant"