Question GPU failed the stress test ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 6, 2024
how long have you had this card?
since November 2020, having this problem for only a few months but now that i checked the date, the thermal pad thing makes more sense i mean it's been 3.5 years

when they start reaching their top speeds the temperature can shoot up quickly, but it may take some time before the default thermal throttling and/or any crashing occurs.
yeah this is exactly what happens

one good way to test for insufficient airflow is to remove the side panel and set a portable fan blowing right into the side of the case.
if temperatures are drastically different then you know it's the lack of airflow in the case.
i'll try this in the morning

these are all very useful so thanks, i'll try them all but what i don't understand is if it was about case and placements or CPU's stock cooler it would happen sooner. i think i need to do the gpu paste thing , not sure how but i can learn how to do it :D i'll try to replace PSU this week.
thanks again

Stock coolers to me are a stop gap they aren't as efficient as heatpipe tower coolers so the paste can dry out quicker as well.

Stock coolers or blow down style are handy in some space saving or passive vented cases. But most of the time that's just kicking around hot air in a case that hot air can't escape effectively. In a standard case . Also the hotter it is inside the case quicker pastes will dry out. Or fail so it's best to give it best pathway to airflow to stop it happening again.

Also get some digital calipers for measuring thermal pad thickness measure the uncompressed part of the pads.

Thermal paste mx4/Mx6
Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning
Cotton swabs for cleaning.

Do not over apply pressure on the GPU die while cleaning as you can damage it.

Last edited: