Asus A72DR/Athon P320 /4GB Ram/ ATI 6470 /cpu upgrade

jancioscar

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Hi there,
i know about possibilities to upgrade cpu on laptop, desktops etc...
The thing is i disassebled this laptop, put new thermal compud, cleaned dust from heatsink and fan,assembly done, updated bios. installed new windows on fresh new ssd.
and still crappy cpu and gpu temperatures-above 70ˇC idle (without external active cooling pad). fan is working ok. i wanted to maybe upgrade cpu, becuase lack of performance...

cooling solution on this laptop is VERY STUPID. one heatpipe for cpu/gpu/nortbridge(maybe). one on each other.

this is the cpu : notebookcheck.net/AMD-Athlon-II-P320-Notebook-Processor.33925.0.html

CPU its no soldered. its in proper socket...

please can someone advise me if there is possibility to upgrade the cpu ?

Thank youuuu

Solution
That's a 25W dual core CPU. So, in theory, if you can pull that CPU out of the socket and replaced it with a quad core 25W Phenom II X4 then you'd have your upgrade. I'm thinking of something like the Phenom II P920 or 940 or 960. Those are all Socket S1G4 like your current CPU.

However, keep in mind your notebook might not support, in bios, the CPU upgrade. I suggest studying your model's documentation to be sure it can handle the upgrade. Also, an upgrade of this type might not be worth it. Balance what you hope to gain against what it would cost. For instance, you might be better off upgrading to a faster dual core rather than a slower quad core but this would depend on what exactly you plan to use this computer for.
That's a 25W dual core CPU. So, in theory, if you can pull that CPU out of the socket and replaced it with a quad core 25W Phenom II X4 then you'd have your upgrade. I'm thinking of something like the Phenom II P920 or 940 or 960. Those are all Socket S1G4 like your current CPU.

However, keep in mind your notebook might not support, in bios, the CPU upgrade. I suggest studying your model's documentation to be sure it can handle the upgrade. Also, an upgrade of this type might not be worth it. Balance what you hope to gain against what it would cost. For instance, you might be better off upgrading to a faster dual core rather than a slower quad core but this would depend on what exactly you plan to use this computer for.

Solution