Asus A7N8X Deluxe, another go

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vyrzeden

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
I would agree, try using different RAM in there and see what happens. Corsair has been successful for me and a few others it seems. I'm running dual channel Corsair 256 x2 PC3200 in synch at 191 FSB. 3 different boards in a row with the same limitiations seems highly unlikely.

Ohh, and as far as timings go, I'm running 2/2/2/5.

Vyr

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
stoochie, you may want to press reply to one of my posts, instead of someone elses (Rob), after all, judging from your reply it looks like your mail is mainly directed to me.

The specific memory I have, GeIL PC3500 Ultra, is, I repeat, perfectly fine. It's specified to be able to run 433 MHz with 6-3-3-2 timings, which I have verified, using a <b>single</b> stick in <b>non-sync</b> mode.

My first board was able to reach a FSB of only 150MHz in dual-channel mode with synchronized memory frequency (2x150 MHz) without losing stability. Using a x12.5 multiplier my stock 2000MHz XP2400+ was then running only 1875 MHz. My local dealer verified the FSB limitation using an XP2600+ with DDR333 bus and some other type RAM (I don't know the brand and specifications).

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, that the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, even with it's latest BIOS, has serious FSB problems in dual-channel sync mode. Search the WEB, and you will find an increasingly number of people experiencing the exact same problems as Rob and I have had. It certainly looks like ASUS rushed this product to market, just in time for x-mas.

Regarding power-supply: I even bought an Antec 480W TruePower, in an attempt to attain stability, but it didn't make a difference AT ALL. I'll tell you, this board has been a very expensive and time-consuming encounter, adding all the hours debugging and switching of various components. I have e-mail'ed ASUS long time ago, but they never bothered answering me. Lots of people are very disappointed and like me, they have also used huge amounts of time on this unfinished product. A few people seems to be able to reach a reasonably high FSB, around 190MHz, by adding active cooling to the Northbridge. I think that maybe a higher voltage to the Northbridge combined with improved cooling would allow for a higher FSB. There is one modded BIOS around which allows increasing the chip voltage with 0.2V, but the underlying software/hardware doesn't implement it yet. Probably ASUS is a bit reluctant to allow this because the factory Northbridge cooling is insufficient.

Finally: People are wondering why ASUS didn't allow for unlocking of Thoughbred B's in their BIOS like Epox and others; I'll tell you why: It would have made it evident (like in crystal clear) for even more people, that the board simply can't cope with the high FSB's at all and this would have caused just even more complaints. Actually the last BIOS from ASUS in fact unlocks the multipliers, BUT ONLY THE HIGHER ONES, LOL !!!!

<i>/Copenhagen - Clockspeed will make the difference... in the end</i> :cool:

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
would agree, try using different RAM in there and see what happens. Corsair has been successful for me and a few others it seems. I'm running dual channel Corsair 256 x2 PC3200 in synch at 191 FSB. 3 different boards in a row with the same limitiations seems highly unlikely.
Yes, it do seems like Corsair stands out from the rest of the pack, I noticed that too. But that stuff is really expensive and can hardly be justified. It lowers the performance/price ratio quite a bit.

I'm puzzled. One the one hand my 256MB GeIL PC3500 Ultra sticks performs fine one stick at a time. But put two together and especially in dual channel sync mode, that's a completely different story. Whether I should blame GeIL or ASUS is hard for me to decide. If just I was able to try out a pair of Corsair CAS2.

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
The performance of GEIL/OCZ can be easily explained. The "Hand Selected" samples that they test for high speed is probably not tested for dual channel synchrous operation. So although they are quite exceptional at providing the speed, I bet the difference in sample origins and the fact that they arent really the cream of the crop when it comes down to selection - prevents their operation at agressive timings and still stay in sync. Corsair is a high quality memory from the ground up and thats what you pay for. And unlike GEIL they arent resold so you end up paying a reasonable price (look on the net, i got my 512 DDR 400 pc3500 corsair stick for 200bucks.) Another manufacturer to look into is samsung, they have pretty good quality, im not sure how they measure up to corsair but they are definitelly higher quality then GEIL/OCZ

Damn it, i want to use htm here.
Man....damn....may rambus take your soul. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stoochie on 01/21/03 04:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I think GeIL PC3500 Ultra performs great when using a single stick. I bought 2 sticks, but they were not handpicked for dual-channel operation.

In seems like nForce2 boards are VERY sensitive regarding the used RAM. x-bit-labs just tested a Chaintech 7NJS using 2 x 256MB DDR400 CAS2 Corsair XMS3200 memory. They couldn't take the FSB past 166MHz without problems. Maybe this is why Corsair has started to introduce the TWINX512-3200LL which is a matched pair of memory modules which has been verified to work on an ASUS A7N8X in dual-channel mode. This indicates to me that the nForce2 boards are very picky about the memory used, the Epox implementaion being a possible exception. This is a MAJOR weakness in the nForce2 design or implementation, because it makes the complete solution very expensive and almost impractical.

After reflashing the official BIOS 1001.C and playing around with the modules in the different banks (1-3, 2-3, 3-2, 3-1) and lowering the CAS value to 2.5, I'm now stable at 186MHz FSB, dual-channel mode and sync memory frequency. Memory settings are now: 5-2-2-2.5 which is of course not so impressive. Placing the "weakest" module in slot 1 and the best module in slot 3 made a big difference as did running CAS 2.5 instead of CAS 2. No doubt that a single 512 MB module running a 200MHz FSB with 5-2-2-2 timings would perform better; so much for the highly regarded dual-channel operation of the nForce2. Only if the board had integrated graphics it would benefit from the increased memory bandwidth, but it doesn't ...

<font color=green><b>Update:</b> I tried to increase the FSB just a bit more: Now I'm at 188MHz FSB with a x12.5 multiplier, i.e my XP2400+ (2000MHz) is now running 2350MHz. I've not tested it in depth, but it's completed a full Prime95 run (992 Test). During the test Asus Probe Ver. 2.19.05 reported:

CPU: 32 C/ 89 F
MB: 30 C/ 86 F

This is with the case open and a low noise Pabst 92mm fan blowing on the Northbridge and RAM. </font color=green>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Copenhagen on 01/21/03 06:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
So are you still expecting to get the Epox board any soon?
It would certainly be interesting to find out if the Epox EP-8RDA+ is less picky about the used memory modules.

I've not decided yet whether I should keep the memory and sell the board or keep the board and get some better memory.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
The question is...well changing ur memory allow u to use the dual mem arch. in th asus board...if it does than stick with the asus cuz than u can have the best board with the most features........

Therefore i say ditch the mem. and get new mem.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Yes, A7N8X Deluxe has more features and is well designed, but it lacks in the overclocking department. Epox has tuned everything towards peak performance, such as a 3-phase voltage regulator instead of 2-phase, and the board layout is not so nice, but again designed for max. performance. It really depends whether you need S-ATA RAID and dual NIC.

<b>ASUS A7N8X Deluxe</b>
Max. CPU voltage: 1.85V
Max. AGP voltage: 1.7V
Max. DDR voltage: 2.8V

<b>Epox EP-8RDA+</b>
Max. CPU voltage: 2.20V
Max. AGP voltage: 1.8V
Max. DDR voltage: 2.9V

At the moment I'm not using dual NIC nor S-ATA RAID, so if I could redo my purchase, I would go for the Epox. My watercooling gear is not challenged at all, running Prime95 at 2350MHz and 1.85V causes almost no temperature increase, only 32 C/ 89 F, cool to the touch.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Awesome....well than i would say than now is the time for u to make ur decission......if OC'ing is all ur caring about than get that Epox board get rid of the 2 ASUS Boards u have now.......and ur set.....that..or get rid of 1 of the asus boards and keep the other for future use or even later on bios development...who knows.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
See if Bios <A HREF="http://ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_A/NVIDIA_Chipset/nForce2/A7N8X_Deluxe/" target="_new">1004 Beta 4</A> Helps u out at all.......

Makaveli

Splendid
I keep hearing OCZ/GEIL memory is crap. Where is the proof?
I'm using OCZ memory and have had no issues. I keep seeing this but with no proof. Please explain other than some incident that happen years ago.

My Specs
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172</A>