ASUS A7V133 RAID 0

G

Just Changed to A7V133 from A7V due to many problems. Was looking to boost performance of the system with RAID in addition to possibly solving other problems.
On Norton 2001 a single IBM 45gig ATA100 had a "drive throughput" benchmark of 4.5M/sec on the ATA100 connector. Now with 2ea 45gig drives with separate cables and raid 0 I only get 3.2M/sec. Any one know what is the problem?

G

Yes, I think the problem is Promise, Asus and Abit use software RAID, and there really is no benefit that I can see. It is a big pain to set up the RAID, format and install OS, only to see no difference. In addition, I found the Promise Fastrack 100 RAID card (also uses software) to be buggy and definately not worth the trouble. I think the only answer is in SCSI RAID (as much as I hate to admit) which is way to expensive. I have seen several similar posts to yours complaining about the Abit MOBO, I think the technology is in general is dissapointing.

G

Saw this last night, it may help

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/2510/13/

You may need to re-set PCI bus master settings -- this applies to the card, but it may be relevant to the onboard controller as well.