Question ASUS A88X-PRO BIFURCATION

artscott

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
Will the Asus A88x-pro support 4x4x4x4 bifurcation?

I am outside my real a bit here.
But looking to replace my pata and sata drives with NVME M.2 like the Adata Swordfish.

Thanks in advance.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your older motherboard will not be able to take full advantage of any NVME SSDs. Your money would go farther with just using SATA SSDs and would be an improvement over any HDDs.

I would recommend you spend your money on modernizing that rig altogether.

artscott

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
Your older motherboard will not be able to take full advantage of any NVME SSDs. Your money would go farther with just using SATA SSDs and would be an improvement over any HDDs.

I would recommend you spend your money on modernizing that rig altogether.
What do you mean full advantage?
Just need these for storage, as in just moving data from the old pata drives to the nvme.

artscott

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
That old chipset and CPU can't process data as fast as the NVME SSDs can. Not even close.

How much storage do you need?
I have about 50tb in old drives of photos....speed is not that much of a thing.
I need the tiny nmve drives so i can do a carry on for a long term trip....the adata swordfish is like 1/4 the size of my Adata SU760.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What exact Adata devices are you considering?

I ask because your motherboard lacks m.2 slots so you would need an adapter of some sort and piles of NVME SSDs to get to 50TB of storage space. This will also be a very expensive undertaking.

Last edited:

artscott

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
Its going to be expensive no matter how i go about it....whether i go just 2.5" ssd or nvme drives.
Right now i am looking at adata 2tb swordfish as they are the lesser expensive and not that much more than the 2.5" adata ssd.

USAFRet

Titan
Why are you bothering with NVMe drives in this old system?
No matter what adapters may be involved?

SATA III SSDs would seem to work just as well.

50TB?
What is your actual cost difference between SATA III drives and NVMe?

(personally, I wouldn't buy ADATA anything)