Asus Adds The RX 550 To Its Stable Of Radeon GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Can't they have a model with two DP ports? DVI-D is junk in 2017. I'd buy this if in had a couple (or more) DP ports.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Hmm, are the fans in most desktop GPUs replaceable? Hopefully ... or laptops have an advantage there, as replacement fans for laptops are usually easy to come by. Makes the difference between a card or laptop lasting 5 years or practically infinite time.
Our society has a problem with e-junk for sure.

Bruin14

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
ASUS North American support doesn't honor warranties on Graphics cards. You will do better with another brand.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

seeing as I have a monitor with dvi out, and most people who would be going ultra low end won't have display port its a bit hard to justify the extra display ports.

oh, and just in case someone wants to use 'get a new monitor' as a response, why? we don't have oleds, we don't have other high quality panels, why would I upgrade from more then good enough to a likely downgrade unless I shell out more than 500$?

Add msi to that list, just got over an rma with them where they were holding my gpu hostage (a dead fan) trying to get me to downgrade to move overstocked parts. took nearly 2 months for them to offer me something on par or better, with the only reason it had to be better was amd/nvidia don't make cards in the same performance bracket anymore. They may be better if your card is newer, but toward end of life they don't have the parts to fix your card, and with how often they apparently just send the same broken parts back... hard to justify.

Ross_30

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Bit confused about the power requirement. Do you mean Power Supply Requirement, instead? Informative article though!

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

No, DVI-D allows you to go straight through to HDMI with a passive connector. For those who might want to run dual HDMI monitors having a DP/HDMI/DVI-D allows for quite a bit of flexibility or who might perhaps have an older monitor or one where they might be running dual computers on a single monitor and need more than one input.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

the power supply requirement is there because most people when you tell them it requires x apms on blank rails they throw their arms up and have no clue what so ever, its the main reason we have psu manufacturers that try to make a quick buck by overloading the 5v and 3v rails, its easier and cheaper to do, and if you add up the watts a 280watt if you take the 12v into account now turns into a 750 watt amp and it only costs 40$.

To normal people, they have no idea they just bought a ticking time bomb.
Hell, when I do take my computer to a shop because I have no ability to diagnose the issue at home (don't have multiple ram sticks, cpus, psus, so on so forth) I don't let them install psus anymore because of the crap pile they sold me for 100$ that after it blew up, I find out cost 23$. Trusted them to sell me a no name they knew was from a real oem, not a crap one, and got burned, literally, when I ripped the power cable out. I think they were also trying to screw me on the gpu too, because they must have thought I was dumb enough to not plug it in when something I normally did was now resulting in black screens.

This may be the perfect card for my sister. I bought her a DELL monitor only to discover it ONLY supports DP at full resolution. WTF?

She's using onboard (HDMI, I think) but only at 1920x1080. I looked for a $30 GPU but they don't come that cheap new, and I will not buy my sister something used.

Status
Not open for further replies.