[SOLVED] ASUS AI Suite 3- Saving settings?....

MarkS02

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Hi,

Just got a new ASUS Prime Z490-A w/ i5-10,400 2.9mhz up and running. First time using AI. Ran its 5-Way Optimization which will OC up to 4.3mhz (Yea!).

Questions:

1. I'm assuming it's an "adaptive" on demand OC because I can hear my fans going up and down as I work, yes?

2. I'm assuming if I want a steady OC I must set it up manually in the included Intel Extreme Utility program and/or BIOs, yes?

3. Is it possible to set a baseline OC and adaptive beyond that point? (ie- set baseline OC at 3.6 with increases on demand up to 4.3?)

4. How do I save profiles in AI3? For example, the "Turbo App" function is proving extremely useful for added punch to vid editing but I cannot get AI3 to save designated programs and default to On at boot up. I have to go into A3 to turn Turbo App on and add programs every time I use the computer.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
Hi,

Just got a new ASUS Prime Z490-A w/ i5-10,400 2.9mhz up and running. First time using AI. Ran its 5-Way Optimization which will OC up to 4.3mhz (Yea!).

Questions:

1. I'm assuming it's an "adaptive" on demand OC because I can hear my fans going up and down as I work, yes?

2. I'm assuming if I want a steady OC I must set it up manually in the included Intel Extreme Utility program and/or BIOs, yes?

3. Is it possible to set a baseline OC and adaptive beyond that point? (ie- set baseline OC at 3.6 with increases on demand up to 4.3?)

4. How do I save profiles in AI3? For example, the "Turbo App" function is proving extremely useful for added punch to vid editing but I...

Lutfij

Titan
The OC will be saved by the app and will also work in tandem with the BIOS to save the settings.

You should manually overclock anything relating to CPU and ram in BIOS, not with a utility or an app in OS.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Sig space specs can and always change which will make this thread and it's relevant suggestions moot to the poor soul in the same boat as you are now.

Hi,

Questions:

4. How do I save profiles in AI3? For example, the "Turbo App" function is proving extremely useful for added punch to vid editing but I cannot get AI3 to save designated programs and default to On at boot up. I have to go into A3 to turn Turbo App on and add programs every time I use the computer.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
  • You have a locked processor. AI Suite may allow you to raise base clock ( I don't know) but that's about it. Probably can do that in bios anyway. That's not overclocking.
  • Intel turbo boost is enabled by default and will raise core frequency up to 4.3Ghz. on its own without you doing anything, if thermal conditions allow.
  • You could've saved money with a B460 board since CPU is locked.

Last edited:
Solution

MarkS02

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
  • You have a locked processor. AI Suite may allow you to raise base clock ( I don't know) but that's about it. Probably can do that in bios anyway. That's not overclocking.
  • Intel turbo boost is enabled by default and will raise core frequency up to 4.3Ghz. on its own without you doing anything, if thermal conditions allow.
The board has a jumper to enable CPU over voltage. Is it possible th

Hey Archaic,

Thanks for the reply.

1. Yeah, I see that now. Took my eye off that ball. First new build in 12 years and never was much into OC'ing. My last one, a Core2 Q9650 at 3.0mhz up to a week ago, I got to run at a stable 3.76 with stock cooling.

2. If CPU is able to run up to 4.3 is it not possible to make it run a constant speed somewhere in between 2.9 and 4.3? The MB has a jumper to enable CPU over-voltage and did come with Intel Extreme Tuning with all features enabled.

3. Yes, I could have gotten a cheaper board except the bucks I saved on the CPU bought a much better board with a much better and longer upgrade path. I was going to get an i7-10,700K for $309 but preferred the i5 and board with no need to spend more money on upgraded cooling measures for a 125w chip. The $137 I saved covered the better board and 16gb of additional memory for a total of 32gb, the most I've ever had.

My budget's starting point is the MB and foundation of the machine. I'm far more concerned with overall speed, capability and future capabilities. CPUs and memory only get cheaper every six months and are the easiest things to upgrade. I'll be able to pick up that i7 for $200-$250 or maybe an i9 if I even feel the need to in 6-12 months and for years to come but that pre-supposes a board that accommodates them.

That old Q9650/8gb DDR3-1333 still runs great on a 12 year old ASUS board starting with an E6600/2gb DDR-800 and will serve for online and light duty work just fine in the family room for a couple more years to go. I used to be a speed and upgrade junkie back in the '90s when I was a gamer- flight sims mostly and a few shooters. Jumped on every new gew-gaw and .01 upgrade the day it came out back when memory was $100 per MB. Now I'm into stability, reliability and solid, respectable performance over the long haul and to me the prices seem dirt cheap relative to the power they buy but I still have a budget.

Keep in mind the new rig is still like the Millennium Falcon compared to what I was driving. Even its BIOS looks sci-fi compared to the old ANSI menus.

Different strokes and all that... :)

Cheers & Thanks.

Last edited: