Question Asus aimesh router and node - weird problem

Nov 27, 2022
So I have a Asus GT-AX11000 router as my main router. I had a dead spot in one of the bed rooms for wifi so I ran an ethernet cable to this room and setup an old RT-AC68U as a node for aimesh. Worked great for the last few months, then suddenly the wifi strength on the node dropped from 200mbs download to about 10-20mbs.

Both routers have updated firmware and I've tried rolling them back (firmware was the same when problem started)
The node is hard wired to the main router so there is no wireless backhauling. I tried manually setting ethernet backhauling with no luck. Router settings say it is using the ethernet connection. Connection quality to node says "Great."
I used another router I had laying around, a RT-AC86U and I am having the same exact problem.
Tried multiple reboots.
If I am in the main living area (where main router is) I get about 500mpbs download on wifi.
If I have my device, 2inches from the node, I get 300mpbs (normal). If I am 3ft from node, I get about 100mpbs. 10ft from node is about 10-20mpbs.

I would imagine it has to do with signals and certain bands overlapping, idk. I have no idea where to go from here.

kanewolf

Titan
So I have a Asus GT-AX11000 router as my main router. I had a dead spot in one of the bed rooms for wifi so I ran an ethernet cable to this room and setup an old RT-AC68U as a node for aimesh. Worked great for the last few months, then suddenly the wifi strength on the node dropped from 200mbs download to about 10-20mbs.

Both routers have updated firmware and I've tried rolling them back (firmware was the same when problem started)
The node is hard wired to the main router so there is no wireless backhauling. I tried manually setting ethernet backhauling with no luck. Router settings say it is using the ethernet connection. Connection quality to node says "Great."
I used another router I had laying around, a RT-AC86U and I am having the same exact problem.
Tried multiple reboots.
If I am in the main living area (where main router is) I get about 500mpbs download on wifi.
If I have my device, 2inches from the node, I get 300mpbs (normal). If I am 3ft from node, I get about 100mpbs. 10ft from node is about 10-20mpbs.

I would imagine it has to do with signals and certain bands overlapping, idk. I have no idea where to go from here.
First guess is the ethernet cable got damaged. Does the status screen on both routers show a gigabit connection on the ethernet between the routers ?
What performance do you get connected to one of the other ethernet ports on the AC86U ?

Nov 27, 2022
First guess is the ethernet cable got damaged. Does the status screen on both routers show a gigabit connection on the ethernet between the routers ?
What performance do you get connected to one of the other ethernet ports on the AC86U ?
So I use the node as a switch too, so I connect my laptop up to it for a wired connection. I get 800mpbs download on the laptop so it wouldn't be the ethernet cable. I've also unplugged everything in the router and strictly used wireless to make sure my wired devices weren't the issue.

Did you check and see what channels are in use on the main router and on the remote router. Did you also check what your end device is actually connecting to. You want all the radios set to different SSID so you can force the connection where you need it. If your end device was very stupid maybe it connected to the main router instead of the local one which would make it very slow.