Question Asus AM2 AM3 Motherboard and CPU cooling fan control under Windows 10

Nov 17, 2021
Having upgraded the operating system (edit: installed WinX on a fresh SSD) on the Windows 7 era Asus M4A785 motherboard, I lost the ability to install the Asus Cool-n-Quiet software that regulates the CPU cooling fan speed.

Was wondering what software workarounds other users have come up with that will get the fan speed down to an appropriate workload level.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried that and got the same result as with trying to install the software from the CD. Neither one is compatible with WinX.

Nov 17, 2021
After download I set compatibility on the setup.exe file that I ran to Win7, and although the program launched and ran, after it stalled out at 21% for 5 minutes I killed the process and reboot the computer. The other .exe file in the same folder errors out right away even with its compatibility set to Win7.

Nov 17, 2021
dwd999 - thanks for the nudge. Thought the BIOS was set differently than it actually was (must have been thinking of the other Asus motherboard). Made the appropriate changes and the fan speed is now throttling automatically!

Also found the SpeedFan Windows app. Besides displaying system temperatures and speeds, it will also control fan speeds based on a curve.

Nov 17, 2021
To clarify - upon further review of more of the BIOS configuration, it was found that although Cool-n-Quiet (variables) was ON, the Smart Q-Fan was OFF. Once the Smart Q-Fan was enabled, the CPU cooling fan started throttling automatically.