Asus Anti-Surge urned off, new PSU, still rebooting.

Smudge1

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
Hello

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 plus
Mobo: Asus Z87-A
GPU: XFX R9 280x 3GB
PSU: Corsair CX 750
CPU: Intel i5-4670k @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 16gb (Corsair I think)
HDD: Western Digital 1TB

Power supply is connected to an anti-surge wall socket that is showing it is working fine.

Long one, please bare with me.

I recently built myself a new gaming rig after retiring the old one, build went fine, everything worked, all built with genuine branded parts. About one week after I built it, (ran beautifully the entire time), it started to reboot when I was loading into games, or after playing them for x amount of minutes, as you would expect having an Asus mobo, 'Asus Anti-Surge has shut your computer down to protect it from an unstable power supply'. Did the normal research (Google) and turned off the Anti-Surge protection. Still rebooted just without the error, back to Google, tried everything, LLC, manual power controls, fan speeds, heat controllers, re-installed Windows, just about anything I could find relating to this problem. I could not get it to replicate the problem when running Prime 95, memtest or graphics card load software which I now forget the name of.

I got fed up at this point and work was kicking off so I decided to give it to a 'professional' repair company who did exactly what I did above, and eventually determined it was a faulty PSU. I sent it back to Amazon, got a new one, had them fit it, got it back, all was fine for another week.

After that week had passed, it rebooted again, stating that; 'Asus Anti-Surge has shut your computer down to protect it from an unstable power supply'. Deja-Vu. To be sure it wasn't a coincidence, I disabled Anti-surge again and it ran fine for two days. Yesterday it starting rebooting while playing games again.

If I had any hair I would be pulling it out! Sorry to burden the forums but I have reached a brick wall in what I can do myself.

Any information you could provide me with, recommendations, solutions or helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

RastislavB

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I would like to know if you can possibly get another power supply to test it out. Corsair power supplies are good but that is the CX series which is a lower end series. Can you try a different wall socket? Is the computer plugged into a power strip or surge protector or is it plugged directly into the wall? Also there is no DDR5 RAM only DDR3 RAM. Take your time and post the results if you tried any of these suggestions.

Smudge1

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
Just to close this thread if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation, I ran out of time and had to get a computer engineer out who hadn't the foggiest either.

In the end he updated the BIOS, and turned the anti-surge off, which on the face of it seems to have cured the problem.