[SOLVED] ASUS ATX PRIME B760-PLUS is good enough?

zherot

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
I want a cheap mobo for a 13600k but I have heard people saying those 13th gen processors run hot so i don't know what to think anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
SO basically normal gaming etc will never see those high temps, only in stress tests? because thats what i was thinking, people are being dumb and stressing their systems and then be surprised that they actually succeeded.
74W average and ~110W max, when stock or power limits removed.
116W average when overclocked, keeping in mind that some mobos can auto OC by default.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-13600k/22.html
power-per-game.png

zherot

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
I have seen many people making this claims and some even saying to not buy a B660 or B760 mobo because it will not handle the CPU well, is this remotely true?
I don't want to OC btw, just stock everything, I want to get a 13600k.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Then you can consider getting a 13500. Same thing without the overclocking and higher power consumption.

You also don't have to let those things run wild. You can set a power limit to your liking, based on your cooling, and whatnot.

But, yes, a 13900K can pull 253W stock. This is beyond most air coolers to handle, and requires water cooling. This is before overclocking.

13600K tops out at 181W stock. A large air cooler like an NH-D15 could handle that during the stock boost period. It settles down to 125W for its base clocks.

13500 tops out at 154W, but its base speed wattage is only 65W, which is a typical mid-range CPU power envelope. (You only lose 300Mhz off the stock boost of the 13600K)

You can get a 13600k and it will run fine with a good cpu cooler.

Both AMD and Intel designs lead to this same issue, when you hit the thermal limit the cpu starts throttling back.

Most games and general pc usage do not heavily load all cores of a cpu to actually run into the thermal limits.

Intel cpu's do have a higher TDP than AMD so it should be a consideration prior to purchase.

What is commonly reccommended is to get the best cooling possible to get the most out of the cpu for both AMD and Intel.

But, yes, a 13900K can pull 253W stock. This is beyond most air coolers to handle, and requires water cooling. This is before overclocking.
This is what everybody gets backwards.
It can only pull 253W if the rest of the system is up to it.
You don't have to make the rest of the system up to handling 253W if you don't want the CPU to use up 253W.
Also as already stated most normal things a common user would do do not hit that limit.
13600K tops out at 181W stock. A large air cooler like an NH-D15 could handle that during the stock boost period. It settles down to 125W for its base clocks.
This only happens if the mobo is set up for it, most mobos run the CPU full blast all of the time. You have to set this by hand.
I don't want to OC btw, just stock everything
Stock everything is OC in most cases because mobo makers put all settings up to 11, you will have to either hunt for a mobo that uses actual intel stock settings or you will have to change bios settings yourself.

zherot

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
This is what everybody gets backwards.
It can only pull 253W if the rest of the system is up to it.
You don't have to make the rest of the system up to handling 253W if you don't want the CPU to use up 253W.
Also as already stated most normal things a common user would do do not hit that limit.

This only happens if the mobo is set up for it, most mobos run the CPU full blast all of the time. You have to set this by hand.

Stock everything is OC in most cases because mobo makers put all settings up to 11, you will have to either hunt for a mobo that uses actual intel stock settings or you will have to change bios settings yourself.

If I can change them myself then no problem, the only methid I read is the LITE LOAD stuff but those are on MSI boards, what about other brands like ASUS?

zherot

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
I'm going to get a 13600k and will use DeepCool AK400 because it has good review by GamerNexus and because its the only decent one available at my country currently.

For a mobo I don't know, I wanted to just buy a cheap one like:

ASUS Prime B760-PLUS D4

But I don't know honestly, then there is this one, more expensive but at least I know this one has the LITE LOAD option:

MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4

I can't really afford any Z chipset boards and I have read a lot of people specially one person that keeps spamming on reddit that no 660 or 760 mobos can handle the 13th gen processors so now I am scared to even buy anything, my build before the one that I currently have that I am going to replace/improve had overheating issues and just remembering them causes me ptsd, I don't want anything to do with that again.

I have seen many people making this claims and some even saying to not buy a B660 or B760 mobo because it will not handle the CPU well, is this remotely true?
I don't want to OC btw, just stock everything, I want to get a 13600k.
Make sure the board has decent VRM's and use a decent cpu cooler. There's plenty of B660 boards that will work fine with that cpu although only the Gigabyte and Asus ROG B660 boards allow you to update to the latest bios in order to run a 13 gen cpu without having to install the cpu, memory and gpu.

DeepCool AG500 CPU Cooler
DeepCool AK500 CPU Cooler
DeepCool AG620 CPU Cooler
DeepCool AK620 CPU Cooler

Last edited:
In all core loads like Benchmarks...yes. But in normal things, no. As far as I know real world power usage and temps on 13th gen are pretty darned good. I'm on AMD Zen 3 but that was a matter of timing, had I waited a few weeks I might very well be on 12th gen Intel, and I would be fine with that.

Reactions: zherot

zherot

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
In all core loads like Benchmarks...yes. But in normal things, no. As far as I know real world power usage and temps on 13th gen are pretty darned good. I'm on AMD Zen 3 but that was a matter of timing, had I waited a few weeks I might very well be on 12th gen Intel, and I would be fine with that.

SO basically normal gaming etc will never see those high temps, only in stress tests? because thats what i was thinking, people are being dumb and stressing their systems and then be surprised that they actually succeeded.

74W average and ~110W max, when stock or power limits removed.
116W average when overclocked, keeping in mind that some mobos can auto OC by default.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-13600k/22.html
power-per-game.png

Solution