[SOLVED] Asus B450-F Mobo Networking Issue

Sep 2, 2021
Hi I'm having an issue with my networking on my Asus B450-F Strix Gaming mobo. I usually try to fix things myself but this time I'm a bit stumped.

My specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Asus B450-F Gaming
16GB Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz
Using onboard audio and ethernet

When I'm on the internet I keep having my browser (Firefox) randomly not connect to a website. It will tell me that the server can't be reached. This happens not only with my browser but with everything (Edge, Steam, Epic games launcher, windows update, etc). Trying to ping an address (IP or website) will sometimes work and other times fail. I have not noticed if there is a certain period of time in between when this happens. It already caused problems when trying to install windows updates. Had to reinstall because of it.

I have tried several things to see if they fix/help my problem.
I've tried:
Putting in a PCIE network card.
Changing DNS provider (OpenDNS)
Tried different drivers (Asus and Intel)
Reinstall Windows (Twice)
Tried different ports on router.
Tested Ethernet cable with second computer(Old laptop and had no issues with surfing internet)
Uninstalled AV (ESET IS)
Updated Bios (I'm not running the latest because the latest just relates to W11)

I don't think I'm forgetting anything.

I'm at a loss for what is causing this. I bought this Mobo last year. Thought I would get more than a year out of it. This issue is almost making me feel like my computer is unusable. I haven't noticed any other issues other than the networking issue. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Solution
I totally understand that. I have done that before but as I said before I don't have these issues when I plug in my old laptop (which has an Ethernet port) and everything seems to work just fine. Anything connected to wifi also don't have this issue. It seems to be just my computer.
Trying a cable on a different computer is not a guarantee. You need to test with a new cat5e cable directly between the pc and primary router. If you use in-wall cable, then you should temporarily move your PC close to the router to test.

The other thing is to disable the Asus GameFirst software.,

kanewolf

Titan
Hi I'm having an issue with my networking on my Asus B450-F Strix Gaming mobo. I usually try to fix things myself but this time I'm a bit stumped.

My specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Asus B450-F Gaming
16GB Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz
Using onboard audio and ethernet

When I'm on the internet I keep having my browser (Firefox) randomly not connect to a website. It will tell me that the server can't be reached. This happens not only with my browser but with everything (Edge, Steam, Epic games launcher, windows update, etc). Trying to ping an address (IP or website) will sometimes work and other times fail. I have not noticed if there is a certain period of time in between when this happens. It already caused problems when trying to install windows updates. Had to reinstall because of it.

I have tried several things to see if they fix/help my problem.
I've tried:
Putting in a PCIE network card.
Changing DNS provider (OpenDNS)
Tried different drivers (Asus and Intel)
Reinstall Windows (Twice)
Tried different ports on router.
Tested Ethernet cable with second computer(Old laptop and had no issues with surfing internet)
Uninstalled AV (ESET IS)
Updated Bios (I'm not running the latest because the latest just relates to W11)

I don't think I'm forgetting anything.

I'm at a loss for what is causing this. I bought this Mobo last year. Thought I would get more than a year out of it. This issue is almost making me feel like my computer is unusable. I haven't noticed any other issues other than the networking issue. I appreciate any help. Thank you.
When you are failing to ping, you need to also start a ping to your router. The LAN side of your router is all you have much control over. Anything on the WAN side of the router you will have to work with your ISP.

Sep 2, 2021
When you are failing to ping, you need to also start a ping to your router. The LAN side of your router is all you have much control over. Anything on the WAN side of the router you will have to work with your ISP.

I totally understand that. I have done that before but as I said before I don't have these issues when I plug in my old laptop (which has an Ethernet port) and everything seems to work just fine. Anything connected to wifi also don't have this issue. It seems to be just my computer.

kanewolf

Titan
Trying a cable on a different computer is not a guarantee. You need to test with a new cat5e cable directly between the pc and primary router. If you use in-wall cable, then you should temporarily move your PC close to the router to test.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 2, 2021

I always thought that by using a different pc to test a cable was a good way to go. Why is that? Isn't it possible that the second pc could have the same issue? I'm just asking so I can understand why.

I will try moving my PC out to my router. My PC is 2 rooms away from my router so I'm using a 50 or 75 ft cable that's been serving me well the last 5 yrs or so. Problem is I don't have another cable that long so I'll have to move the PC. I'll try it as soon as I can.

Also I never installed the GameFirst software. Only thing I installed from Asus was drivers.

kanewolf

Titan
I always thought that by using a different pc to test a cable was a good way to go. Why is that? Isn't it possible that the second pc could have the same issue? I'm just asking so I can understand why.
Each port tolerates different amounts of out-of-spec conditions. So that laptop's hardware might be more tolerant.
Even just moving the cable can cause 1 of the 8 wires to make or break connection.

Sep 2, 2021
Tried a new cable and it didn't work. The new cable I used was brand new. I even tried it on a different port on the router too and no change. What now? Could it be the router or the mobo? WiFi devices still have no problems.

kanewolf

Titan
Tried a new cable and it didn't work. The new cable I used was brand new. I even tried it on a different port on the router too and no change. What now? Could it be the router or the mobo? WiFi devices still have no problems.
When the problem happens, you need to run some pings. Ping 8.8.8.8 and ping your router IP. Also try an nslookup.exe www.google.com
That will tell you if the router can access the internet. If you can access the router and if you can do a name lookup. Those are the basics of home networking.

Sep 2, 2021
Just had it happen and immediately pinged 8.8.8.8 and did nslookup on www.google.com. Both worked. When i did the nslookup though it did show my routers IP address but didn't show anything for server. Is that right since my router is doing the DNS duties?

kanewolf

Titan
Just had it happen and immediately pinged 8.8.8.8 and did nslookup on www.google.com. Both worked. When i did the nslookup though it did show my routers IP address but didn't show anything for server. Is that right since my router is doing the DNS duties?
It could be the DNS server the router is configured to use. But since you say you already changed to OpenDNS, I don't think that is likely. It is definitely worth double checking the router config.

kanewolf

Titan
I didn't think it was the DNS servers because this was doing it before when I was using my ISPs DNS(Comcast) servers.

What should I be looking for in my router config?
Verify that the DNS is set manually to opendns values.

The other thing I thought about is to create a brand new Firefox profile. It could be that there is something wrong with your current profile.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021
Just verified that the DNS settings are correct for OpenDNS.

I would create a new Firefox profile but I don't think it will help since this problem appears to be system wide. It's affecting everything (Edge, Steam, Windows, etc.).

Sep 2, 2021
I was afraid of that. I'm not sure what to do now.

I can only imagine it has to be either the mobo or router. They're the only things I can think of to replace that might make a difference. Since my wifi works just fine I'm leaning towards the Mobo. :spamafote:

Anybody else have any ideas? I could sure use some. Lol.

kanewolf

Titan
I was afraid of that. I'm not sure what to do now.

I can only imagine it has to be either the mobo or router. They're the only things I can think of to replace that might make a difference. Since my wifi works just fine I'm leaning towards the Mobo. :spamafote:

Anybody else have any ideas? I could sure use some. Lol.
But if you can do DNS and ping, then the router doesn't make any sense. Even the motherboard doesn't make sense if you can ping and do DNS lookup ...
You can try booting a portable Linux. That will eliminate any Windows specific issues.

Sep 2, 2021
I understand that. I just feel like Im grasping for any idea to try and help figure this out. You are pretty much the only help I've gotten with this so I greatly appreciate your help.

I will try the Linux option when I'm able to. I have a usb drive with Mint 20.2 on it.

Sep 2, 2021
Ok I was finally able to test with Linux Mint. I went an extra step and tested with both the onboard lan and the network card I had bought awhile back. The result is that it has to be a windows issue because I had no problems using the internet with Linux Mint.

With that being the case what should I try now?

kanewolf

Titan
Ok I was finally able to test with Linux Mint. I went an extra step and tested with both the onboard lan and the network card I had bought awhile back. The result is that it has to be a windows issue because I had no problems using the internet with Linux Mint.

With that being the case what should I try now?
There is no easy answer. The best answer would be a clean OS install. Remotely, it is impossible to give you a definite next step.

Sep 2, 2021
Doing a clean install won't fix the problem unfortunately. I've done a reinstall twice in the last two months and it still persists. I almost want to say screw it and install Linux. Lol.