Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Hi
as the title says, i'm looking to buy SSD or M.2 for my pc
currently i have only a 500GB Green WD HDD
so i have free slots for SSD and a free slot for M.2

i'm looking to buy a 250gb or 500 gb storage
gonna split it into two partitions:
A. a 100gb partition for windows , think it's enough right?
B. another partition for games

any recommendation?

2 years ago i wanted to buy ssd and some people here recommended me to buy Crucial MX500, I don't know wether it's still the best option or not

Last edited:
Hi
as the title says, i'm looking to buy SSD or M.2 for my pc
currently i have only a 500GB Green WD HDD
so i have free slots for SSD and a free slot for M.2

i'm looking to buy a 250gb or 500 gb storage
gonna split it into two drives:
A. a 100gb drive for windows , think it's enough right?
B. another drive for games

any recommendation?

2 years ago i wanted to buy ssd and some people here recommended me to buy Corsair BX500, I don't know wether it's still the best option or not

Clarify:

Do you want to buy 1 drive and split it into 2 partitions?

Or do you want to buy 2 separate drives?

You could buy a regular 2.5 inch SSD for games and a separate M.2 for Windows.

Or you could buy just one drive and split it.

Or you could buy just one drive and NOT split it.

Windows takes up maybe 30 GB when fully updated. Most will tell you to devote more than 100 GB to the Windows partition, but the fact is some people need far less than 100. It depends on how many applications you will install.

The Crucial BX drive is not what I'd look at.

Clarify what you want to do.

Reactions: troyer1234567

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Clarify:

Do you want to buy 1 drive and split it into 2 partitions?

Or do you want to buy 2 separate drives?

You could buy a regular 2.5 inch SSD for games and a separate M.2 for Windows.

Or you could buy just one drive and split it.

Or you could buy just one drive and NOT split it.

Windows takes up maybe 30 GB when fully updated. Most will tell you to devote more than 100 GB to the Windows partition, but the fact is some people need far less than 100. It depends on how many applications you will install.

The Crucial BX drive is not what I'd look at.

Clarify what you want to do.
thank you for your answer

sorry i just editted my first post , i meant two partitions as u said i won't need more than 100gb for windows partition

and sorry that was crucial mx 500 , i editted that too

so what would you recommend?

The MX500 is a good choice if you want a standard 2.5 inch drive.

Only about 25 dollars difference between 250 GB and 1 TB...4 times as much capacity. I'd probably buy more than I thought I needed.

One reason for that is if you split the drive into 2 partitions, you will probably not accurately estimate how fast you will fill up the partitions. You could easily have plenty of free space, but it's on the wrong partition, so you'd have a problem.

First thing you need to do is decide on M.2 or not. Main advantage is no cables. Speed differences are there in benchmarks, but you might not notice in real use. They run a little warmer, maybe 5 degrees. Not a lot of cost difference.

If you want M.2, you need to find out if your M.2 slot supports SATA or NVMe.

You can certainly continue to use the WD Green.

Reactions: troyer1234567

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
The MX500 is a good choice if you want a standard 2.5 inch drive.

Only about 25 dollars difference between 250 GB and 1 TB...4 times as much capacity. I'd probably buy more than I thought I needed.

One reason for that is if you split the drive into 2 partitions, you will probably not accurately estimate how fast you will fill up the partitions. You could easily have plenty of free space, but it's on the wrong partition, so you'd have a problem.

First thing you need to do is decide on M.2 or not. Main advantage is no cables. Speed differences are there in benchmarks, but you might not notice in real use. They run a little warmer, maybe 5 degrees. Not a lot of cost difference.

If you want M.2, you need to find out if your M.2 slot supports SATA or NVMe.

You can certainly continue to use the WD Green.
thank you for the answer.

Yes, I will keep my current HDD no problem with that.

Yes, It supports NVME

if there is no performance difference in real life and m.2 runs hotter i think i must go with ssd right? i don't care about cables, really, what's wrong with them lol , i have OCed my ram and my pc runs hot so i think SSD is better choice than M.2 for me right?

and another question, any better option than MX 500? is it the one you recommend?

I'd probably get the MX. You could also consider Samsung 870 or WD Blue series.

What are your temps at idle and under a good load?

What is your cooling setup and case?

If your temps are so high that you are fearful that an M.2 might be a problem, maybe you ought to do something about the temps.

Knowing no more than what you have said, no, I wouldn't say you "must go with SSD". Not enough info provided.

You might consider a heatsink on an M.2.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
I'd probably get the MX. You could also consider Samsung 870 or WD Blue series.

What are your temps at idle and under a good load?

What is your cooling setup and case?

If your temps are so high that you are fearful that an M.2 might be a problem, maybe you ought to do something about the temps.

Knowing no more than what you have said, no, I wouldn't say you "must go with SSD". Not enough info provided.

You might consider a heatsink on an M.2.
which one is better among those 3 ?

is there any reason i should go with M.2 if heat is not my concern (except cables)?