[SOLVED] Asus B550-F Wifi Gen4 M.2 Slot Question

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
I have the Asus B550-F Wifi motherboard and im looking at getting a Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB for a new OS drive and maybe adding a few games to it. My only concern is the drive can get over heated while running hard. Is the cover plate on the MB a heatsink or is it just a cover to hide the drive. If its just a cover I would just spend the extra $20 and get the one that has a heatsink on the drive. With the heatsink on the drive my other concern is would it fit in the slot since I have my GPU in PCIe 4.0 slot which is right next to the Gen4 M.2 slot. I'm just worried about buy it and finding that it doesn't fit because my GPU is too close. I've been looking around for the past 2 hours trying to find anything online and in the manual but no luck. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

And sorry if this is the wrong section. I couldn't decide if it was hard drive question or a motherboard question.

Last edited:
Solution
The M.2 "covers" are designed to act like a heatsink. They're even labeled as heatsinks on the website you linked. (scroll down to "All-round Performance", click on "Cooling", click on "M.2")

Heatsinks included on most M.2 drives are designed to still fit underneath a GPU.
The M.2 "covers" are designed to act like a heatsink. They're even labeled as heatsinks on the website you linked. (scroll down to "All-round Performance", click on "Cooling", click on "M.2")

Heatsinks included on most M.2 drives are designed to still fit underneath a GPU.

Solution

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021

Ah ok, thank you. I'm apparently very blind. lol