Question Asus B660 Strix D4 power hungry?

Dec 1, 2022
Hey!.

I need some tips in general, i am possible getting an Asus ROG Strix B660 D4 motherboard but on the review i saw that the motherboard it self take alot of power at Aida64 test vs gaming not the same ?.

And now is my question is that depending what cpu i pick , the example of the link was an i9-12900K and thats little to extreme to compare at vs an i5-12600K that less power output?

Yes i know i5-12600K are not the best but i dont overklock but the reason why i might pick is the reason 4 more cores and threads than an i5-12600 or the I5-12400F.

Or would it still be to high? :/

The link comes here :

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-b660a-gaming-review/2

Lutfij

Titan
If you're getting the K suffix processor, you should be looking at the Z series chipset, will help you offset any intentions for overclocking (way)down the road. As for the power draw, yes that power figure will change slightly(reduce) as you work your way down the pecking order. That being said, given the way Intel has been going with power, you shouldn't be concerned about power draw...why? Because they can't compete with AMD's method of working/design and Intel's trying to push power through it's processors to try and get the top spot, in order to seem relevant to those who are interested in computing power(alone).

Dec 1, 2022
If you're getting the K suffix processor, you should be looking at the Z series chipset, will help you offset any intentions for overclocking (way)down the road. As for the power draw, yes that power figure will change slightly(reduce) as you work your way down the pecking order. That being said, given the way Intel has been going with power, you shouldn't be concerned about power draw...why? Because they can't compete with AMD's method of working/design and Intel's trying to push power through it's processors to try and get the top spot, in order to seem relevant to those who are interested in computing power(alone).

Hello , thanks for your answer 🙂.

I was thinking to get the i5-12600K anyway - Yes i do know its not worth it, but in Sweden there was an BF sale so i saw only the Asus card that look okey and was reduced in price , with like 36% in Swedish currency (SEK) , until i saw that higher power on the board than Msi B660 tomahawk 🤔 .

If you was me and have quite limited budget would you pick this motherboard i have order or should i pick the Msi b660 tomahawk instead that had little less power draw ?

//Alexander from Sweden.

Lutfij

Titan
First I can't speak for you, since I don't live in the same country as you, I don't know everything as to what the system is going to be used for, to add I also don't know what the absolute budget for your build is/are going to be. Second, if I was in dire need of building a system for my daily(and distant) needs, I'd get something from AMD's last offering in the AM4 socket since they'd be cheaper and power efficient. However you must know that I have been meaning to build a system for the past 5 years, I've only been talking myself out of it and quite frankly I have not been disappointed in holding that thought off.

Up until the 8th Gen I'd have swayed towards Intel more so than AMD but past that point Intel was just going about unnecessary power figures.

:)

Dec 1, 2022
First I can't speak for you, since I don't live in the same country as you, I don't know everything as to what the system is going to be used for, to add I also don't know what the absolute budget for your build is/are going to be. Second, if I was in dire need of building a system for my daily(and distant) needs, I'd get something from AMD's last offering in the AM4 socket since they'd be cheaper and power efficient. However you must know that I have been meaning to build a system for the past 5 years, I've only been talking myself out of it and quite frankly I have not been disappointed in holding that thought off.

Up until the 8th Gen I'd have swayed towards Intel more so than AMD but past that point Intel was just going about unnecessary power figures.

:)

Thanks for your answer and time.

I have set an budget on like 350dollar (3500 Swedish SEK) for an Intel cpu and my my family pay like 180dollar for an motherboard, Swedish prices is insanely high 🥵.

I was thinking to go with i5-12600 or the K version or budget i5-12400F but few more cores and threads might are better to pick.

I did get an 240mm AIO cooler from Arctic Liquid Freezer for free from them last Christmas. 😊

I have Corsair SL memory ddr4 3200mhz 32gb i get very Cheap from an Swedish company only 47dollar 😊.

i have an Corsair RM 850w (2019) that i won from an Swedish retailer.

I won an seagate Firecuda 530 1TB in one big swedish tech groupe contest 😊

so now i waiting for release for rtx 4070 or an 3060ti or 3070 to get lower prices.

I also have an 2019 Asus ROG PG278QE 2560x1440 Real G-sync monitor.