Question Asus B75m-Plus, i5-3570, single monitor, iGPU, can boot to DVI but not HDMI

The5thCacophony

Prominent
Jul 25, 2022
Hi,

I hope some of you still remember about this Asus B75m-Plus motherboard. I would like to use it as a home server, single monitor connected to integrated GPU, mode text only.

The mobo has 3 video outputs: VGA, DVI, HDMI. I would like to use the HDMI output because this is the output available on my monitor. When booting, the monitor shows "HDMI no signal". I borrowed a monitor with DVI output and the mobo could boot OK (can enter BIOS screen, can boot to text mode, can even display graphics if booting an OS with graphical desktop).

I have checked all the basics, clean the HDMI port with a tooth brush. The HDMI cable is working correctly: same monitor, same cable, connected to a computer known to have HDMI output working. When I booted the Asus B75m-Plus with HDMI cable connected, I made sure I selected HDMI input in the monitor. I suppose the iGPU is enabled in the BIOS, b/c it booted OK on DVI.

So either the HDMI port is defective, or this Asus B75m-Plus motherboard is designed in such a way that it cannot boot on integrated HDMI.

Would appreciate any opinion/advice. Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to check and see what your BIOS version is at this moment of time. If you have an update pending for the BIOS, might want to go ahead with the update. As for your no display matter, it can also be that the pins on your socket are either not making contact or they're being pushed irregularly. I've had a similar issue with no display from the iGPU since there was one bent in the socket(it came that way from a friend of mine, who bought it used) which I straightened out but would always require a little gentle treatment. I've since then figured out that gently lowering the CPU into the socket at a particular angle but very gently and not applying too much force while tightening the cooler onto the CPU's IHS helps retain iGPU functionality.

You might also want to take an eraser and clean the underside of the CPU, the gold contact points, then remove any stray eraser debris. For added measure, you can use isopropyl alcohol to give it a good rub.

+ Good luck!

Last edited:

The5thCacophony

Prominent
Jul 25, 2022
Thank you very much sir for the quick answer. The BIOS version is already the latest.

Never thought of a physical issue related to the CPU pins. I will try your advice, will post here the outcome when done. I do remember when I renewed the thermal paste, I had evenly tightened but strongly the cooler (Cooler Master Evo 212).

The5thCacophony

Prominent
Jul 25, 2022
@Lutfij Update: you were right. The issue is indeed about the pins in the CPU socket. Saw 2 pins bent, I tried to straighten them to look similar to the neighboring pins. And the computer no longer booted. Bummer!

On 2nd attempt, I use a magnifying glass and tweezers to fix the pins. The computer boots, but on DVI only. Back to the original issue, ie. not HDMI signal on boot. Reopened again and I noticed there is a pin which seems broken (looks much shorter than the pins besides it).

So at this point, I would say it's rather a miracle that this computer still boots and seems to be working.