Asus B85M Pro4 motherboard with high-end GPU

Purpledazed

Reputable
May 4, 2014
Hello.

I intend to build a gaming PC and I have a question about motherboard and GPU.

Motherboard: Asus B85M Pro4 or Z87 Extreme3
GPU: Radeon R9 280x toxic D5 3GB
CPU: i5-4670 or e3-1230V3
PSU: Superflower SF-600P12A(M)
HDD: Seagate 1TB
SDD: Toshiba 128g Q series Pro
Memory: Samsung 8G DDR3-12800 (4G x 2)

Which motherboard should I be using if I have no intention of overclocking my CPU or getting crossfire in the future?

It seems like Z87 extreme3 is about $60-65 more expensive in my country but is it necessary if i'm not interested in overclocking cpu or crossfire?

Alot of my friends are telling me to just get the Z87 Extreme3 or 4 cuz I need a 'strong' motherboard to handle my new GPU.

While at it, could you guys kindly share your opinion on some components for a better gaming pc? i'd appreciate it.

Solution

B85 is a budget business oriented motherboard.
H87 supports Rapid Storage Technology, Smart Response Technology (otherwise known as SSD Caching), six SATA 6Gb/s ports and six USB 3.0 ports.
If you don't need the extra feature the B85 would be fine.
THe asrock H87 Performance as some extra feature like a better sound chip,has more pci slot, more power phases and better quality parts used.

Dylzan

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
I'm guessing you mean ASrock as opposed to Asus, the board is fine, as long as it has PCIe 2 or above that is the only thing that would affect the graphics card, they might have been talking about processors, both the options you have chosen would work fine.

Purpledazed

Reputable
May 4, 2014

B85 is a budget business oriented motherboard.
H87 supports Rapid Storage Technology, Smart Response Technology (otherwise known as SSD Caching), six SATA 6Gb/s ports and six USB 3.0 ports.
If you don't need the extra feature the B85 would be fine.
THe asrock H87 Performance as some extra feature like a better sound chip,has more pci slot, more power phases and better quality parts used.

Solution

Purpledazed

Reputable
May 4, 2014
I checked the price of H87 Performance and it is similar to the Z87 Extreme3.

In this case, assuming that I won't be overclocking my CPU but may or may not crossfire in the future, which motherboard is your recommendation?

The price difference between H87 Performance and Z87 Extreme3 seem negligible