[SOLVED] ASUS BIOS Flashback

Status
Not open for further replies.

woofer300

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
Hello! I have an ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS (Wi-Fi) motherboard, and I am attempting to update the BIOS so that it will support my Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. However, I tried to do it, and it has been stuck on a solid green light for about half an hour now. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Can I just pull out the USB stick now to try everything again, or will that break something? Thanks!

Solution
Great, good to know. My question is, can I take out the USB Drive that is plugged in right now that I tried these steps on? The solid green light is on, and I'm wondering if I can just pull it out without causing any damage to the motherboard.

Pretty sure a solid light means the procedure didn't start. The light should be OFF when it's done.

You can shutdown the system. It's fine. The BIOS flashback didn't work or should I say didn't start.

woofer300

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
The BIOS flashback is to be used only if there is no CPU installed on the board.

I'd like to help but the ASUS website is "This site can’t be reached" at the moment. So I cannot see the BIOS page.
Good to know. This is literally the first step I am doing though, so this is not the issue.

Good to know. This is literally the first step I am doing though, so this is not the issue.
  • Download the BIOS file from the Motherboard website.
  • Extract the file somewhere
  • Move the BIOS file on a USB key
  • Rename the BIOS file to whatever name they say on the BIOS page
  • Put the USB key in the appropriate USB port at the back for the Flashback function to work properly
  • You press the flash button for 2-3 seconds until a light start flashing
  • When the light stop flashing after a few minutes (It can take up to 10 mins) it's ready.
  • You then install the new CPU and try to post.

woofer300

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
  • Download the BIOS file from the Motherboard website.
  • Extract the file somewhere
  • Move the BIOS file on a USB key
  • Rename the BIOS file to whatever name they say on the BIOS page
  • Put the USB key in the appropriate USB port at the back for the Flashback function to work properly
  • You press the flash button for 2-3 seconds until a light start flashing
  • When the light stop flashing after a few minutes (It can take up to 10 mins) it's ready.
  • You then install the new CPU and try to post.
Great, good to know. My question is, can I take out the USB Drive that is plugged in right now that I tried these steps on? The solid green light is on, and I'm wondering if I can just pull it out without causing any damage to the motherboard.

woofer300

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
My question may be a little unclear. I know what I did wrong (I put the bios for the non WiFi version of the board) but I don't know if I can just pull out the USB stick to cancel the current one that has been running for about an hour.

Pretty sure a solid light means the procedure didn't start. The light should be OFF when it's done.

You can shutdown the system. It's fine. The BIOS flashback didn't work or should I say didn't start.

Solution
Hello! I have an ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS (Wi-Fi) motherboard, and I am attempting to update the BIOS so that it will support my Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. However, I tried to do it, and it has been stuck on a solid green light for about half an hour now. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Can I just pull out the USB stick now to try everything again, or will that break something? Thanks!

A solid green/blue flashback light indicates an error with the flash.
Most common causes are the USB stick has not been formatted properly to FAT32 single partition or the Bios file has not been unzipped or renamed correctly. Once the Bios file is unzipped it should be renamed to TGB550PW.CAP then transferred to the USB.
Sometimes the incorrect USB port is used. Refer to page 1-7 in your MB manual.

Using Bios Flashback there is no need for the CPU to be installed. You just need power to the MB with the system turned off.

There is also another method to update Bios using the ASUS flash 3 utility. Page 2-3 in your manual.
Trying again will not break anything, just don't switch power off during flashback.

Reactions: Nemesia

woofer300

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
A solid green flashback light indicates an error with the flash.
Most common causes are the USB stick has not been formatted properly to FAT32 single partition or the Bios file has not been unzipped or renamed correctly. Once the Bios file is unzipped it should be renamed to TGB550PW.CAP then transferred to the USB.
Sometimes the incorrect USB port is used. Refer to page 1-7 in your MB manual.

Using Bios Flashback there is no need for the CPU to be installed. You just need power to the MB with the system turned off.

There is also another method to update Bios using the ASUS flash 3 utility. Page 2-3 in your manual.
Trying again will not break anything, just don't switch power off during flashback.
Good to know, thanks. I just pulled the USB out and used the correct BIOS file, and it worked! Thank you all so much! I was so freaked out when it didn't work. So glad it's all fixed. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.