Question Asus BIOS Won't Load Windows Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2019
I bought a copy of windows last night and went to install it onto a brand new HDD I also bought yesterday and nothing I do will boot the windows install whatsoever, I'm going on day * 2 just trying to install a stupid * OS onto my new HDD. I have tried USB, I've tried a dvd-r which I burned a copy of the ISO file onto. I did all the * troubleshooting steps, disabled the secure mode, reset boot priorities and even enabled the CSM.....Nothing that I do is working I still end up with the same * "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device" message. NOTHING IS WORKING!!! Asus is really * pissing me off. What the * else is there to do????!?!??!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: simty
May 12, 2019
I'm not sure I've ever been so frustrated with something so stupid. I really don't understand how its going to recognize that there is an HDD , DVD and USB available but it just won't * boot any of them like WTF? Who designs this shit? You set it to what it needs to boot right and it doesn't even bother.

May 12, 2019
Calm down and explain your problem better. What won't boot USB or DVD ? How did you get them ? Did you build them from ISO ?
Most secure way is to USE Microsoft Media Creation tool to download appropriate windows version and make bootable USB. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
After buying and installing the new 1TB HDD yesterday, I bought Windows 7_64 bit online and got a product key and all. I downloaded the OS through the website I purchased it from and loaded it onto a flash-drive and formatted the drive to FAT32 and plugged it into the USB port in the front. Reboot and the error message comes up about selecting a proper boot device, so I went into the BIOS.

After that I tried setting the boot priorities to load the flash-drive first then the HDD, saved and reset and still it says select a proper boot device. So that's when I started the troubleshooting, like disabling the secure boot which already said disabled to begin with. My flash-drive is a SanDisk, and when I'm in the BIOS it's allowing me to select the SanDisk but it won't ever load on a save and reset, every possible thing I could think of I did and it never helped.

After that I just said F it I'll burn the file onto a dvd-r and use it as an install disc. Well that ended up giving me the same exact problem, it's almost as if it won't save the settings I change but yet it clearly stays changed when I go back into it. It's almost as if it just wont follow the boot commands or something I even tried an override boot for both the USB and the DVD at separate times but got nothing.

May 12, 2019
Which system are you trying to install windows ? W7 is not going to install on all new systems as they are, may need to preinstall some drivers first.
You may also want to try with a live Linux distro and see if that would work.
I had thought that as long as you had an install disc and a new HDD it would just load the install. I don't remember having any of these issues at all when I built it from scratch. I've also been a bit out of the loop with computers in the past 2-3 years. So what would be my best and first step to getting my PC up and running with windows? Could I even install the OS on the new HDD through a different computer that already has a working HDD? I would have just used my old one to do this but it has a blue screen on the old one and I don't need that spreading to the new one I just picked up.

Nov 1, 2019
Seriously!!!!!!! I have this very same problem! Please help out.

I have made an ISO bootable usb drive on a 32gb sands. I made sure it was formatted to fat32 one time and expat the next. the exact image from the windows site is on the usb.... yet when i go to the asus pc using a asus x77 motherboard no matter what i change the settings to, no matter if i turn off safe boot, if i force it to boot from the usb, if i tell it the usb is a hdd, if i tell it the usb is a cd-rom, if i change it to look for UEFI usb drives, if i tell it to look for legacy usb, if I tell it to look for both, if i turn the CSM on or off or auto, NOTHING WORKS

EVERY SINGLE TIME no matter what random variant of those different BIOS options i change to, going off of 100's of youtube videos and forum posts, it NEVER EVER finds anything on the USB... I get that SAME error message every single time without fail. "reboot and select proper boot.....blah blah blah"

this is insane.

ASUS created the crappiest motherboard that has ever existed I guess. I should have just shelled out the extra $400 for a new motherboard and a 9th gen chipset but i got this x77 MOBO and a i7 2600k for nothing so i want to use it... but this BIOS has (oh and by the way it IS the latest bios from ASUS, version 2104 i think) the worst UI i have ever seen

one thing that is weird is unless select the USB and force it as boot option 1, it doesn't automatically seem to find it in the ASUS EZ mode...

like if i start from scratch, put all the ASUS settings back to stock, plug both my ssd that is brand new and blank in to the Sata port and then this windows.iso USB in to any random USB 3.0 or 2.0 port (i have tried them all) when i open up the BIOS (again this is the BIOS reset to factory default) the EZ MODE page that appears first only EVER shows my SSD drive. It never recognizes the USB in EZ MODE...... its only after i go in to advanced mode (its always visible in there)

so, idk if that's relevant, probably not....

this is just crazy, i am usually completely competent on a computer, so i KNOW this is an ASUS problem or somehow the usb i am making isn't able to be read...

I know my APPLE IMAC is making the USB installer using bootcamp... and that APPLE creates these things as UEFI.... but that shouldn't matter.... I am telling the ASUS BIOS to look for UEFI usb drives!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.