Asus crosshair formula z bios update 2016

Traviswilliam

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
First off by no means am I an expert at computers or any variation thereof, I am a MMORPG gamer, and I just recently upgraded my old pc parts , biostar tz68+, i3 3220, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, windows 10, msi gtx 760, to an Asus crosshair formula z, amd FX 8150, 8gb 1600mhz ram, FX water cooler, 250gb ssd, and dual GTX titans sli'd. I feel like my performace really isn't what it should be, hopefully I can figure all this out over time, but I'm having an issue updating my bios to the most current version. Ive tried doing it through Asus Ai suite, through the Asus website, and tried using a usb flash drive via the flash utility, and I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong. So my question(s) would be, bare with me as I want to cover all my tracks....first, what is the actual most current bios version for the crosshair formula z ? second, what are the exact steps for downloading it, do I need to download to my pc and copy the file to the usb, do I unzip it, what exactly I'm I changing the name to ? Third, is this even something I should concern myself with ? Will updating bios help me achieve better performance in games? This is just very confusing to me and all I want to is walk through these steps carefully. I'm currently up and running I can play games internet running windows 10. no issues really other than some games giving low fps. I don't know if this due to just out dated drivers or if certain games hate SLI. Maybe this thread can shed some light on these things for all the users like myself who aren't as educated in PC's as I'm sure a lot of you all are. Plus searching around online I don't find any posts or threads about these specifics.

Solution
Your performance isn't what it should be because that Bulldozer CPU is holding you back. There are many games when that cpu is going to bad limit what those cards are capable of. MMOs are fairly cpu demanding games and only use a couple threads so what you want is fast single threaded performance and the Bulldozer cpus flopped badly there. In single threaded speed you actually took a step back. the I3 3220 had better single core performance than a 8150.

For flashing the bios I flash mine using the bios utility. I download the file and unzip it, format a usb key to fat32 then put the .cap file on it, enter the bios and in the flash utility point it to the file on the usb key. I don't recommend flashing the bios through a windows...

bignastyid

Titan
Your performance isn't what it should be because that Bulldozer CPU is holding you back. There are many games when that cpu is going to bad limit what those cards are capable of. MMOs are fairly cpu demanding games and only use a couple threads so what you want is fast single threaded performance and the Bulldozer cpus flopped badly there. In single threaded speed you actually took a step back. the I3 3220 had better single core performance than a 8150.

For flashing the bios I flash mine using the bios utility. I download the file and unzip it, format a usb key to fat32 then put the .cap file on it, enter the bios and in the flash utility point it to the file on the usb key. I don't recommend flashing the bios through a windows program. 2201 is the latest bios and only "Enhance compatibility with some USB devices."

Solution

Traviswilliam

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Thank you, yeah seems after about 8 hours yesterday I figured it out, my mobo has the latest bios, and I realize now that yes my Processor is now my bottleneck. Im going to look into maybe a i5 4690k on a z97 mobo at some point. Thank you sir