Asus Crosshair III Formula + Anker USB 3.0 PCI-E Card

Jul 31, 2018
I am usually pretty computer savvy but this one is messing me up.

I have an Asus Crosshair III formula based computer that I am trying to rebuild for a little project. Of the PCI-E slots, 1 x16 is being used by my graphics card, 1 x1 is being used by another card, 1 x1 is being blocked by the graphics card, and 1 x1 is being used for the sound card. So that means:

I have 1 x16 PCIE slot available for an added Anker USB 3.0 card.

I have tried other cards that have the x1 form factor and everytime, even with this card, Windows 10 doesn't recognize the hardware when trying to install drivers, just says there is no hardward found.

Is there something special I have to do to allow this x16 slot to work with an x1 card? Something I have to change in the BIOS? Any help would be appreciated as I am starting to lose my mind.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

Since this is an older motherboard there may be some conflicts involving IRQ assignments, but i'm not sure one way or the other. For the moment try removing one of your other x1 cards and using that x1 slot to install the Anker USB 3.0 card. At least...
Jul 31, 2018

Yes it did, both the drivers on the CD and the newest drivers I downloaded from their site say that the hardware was not found. Device Manager doesn't see it, I just wonder if there is something I need to "switch on" or something in BIOS to get this second PCI-E x16 to work.

Since this is an older motherboard there may be some conflicts involving IRQ assignments, but i'm not sure one way or the other. For the moment try removing one of your other x1 cards and using that x1 slot to install the Anker USB 3.0 card. At least then you will know the card is working properly.

Solution
Jul 31, 2018
[/quotemsg]
Since this is an older motherboard there may be some conflicts involving IRQ assignments, but i'm not sure one way or the other. For the moment try removing one of your other x1 cards and using that x1 slot to install the Anker USB 3.0 card. At least then you will know the card is working properly. [/quotemsg]

Will do, thanks.