Asus crosshair III with ddr3 1600 - need clarification

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bengi010

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I'm building a new computer and just bought an asus crosshair formula III board because it was a great deal for an open box at newegg. My question is whether it will be compatible with the ddr3 1600 RAM I bought. I want to run 8 GB, 4 2GB modules but I just noticed the board says it's 1600 (O.C.) compatible. What, if anything does that mean? Here are links to the Motherboard and RAM. Thanks in advance if anyone can explain this to me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._crosshair_formula_iii-_-13-131-392-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104141

Solution
What are you talking about? All im saying is that the OP should look for low latency modules as opposed to more MHZ, this is common sense.

look at it this way:

let's say you have a set of DDR2 800MHz (5-5-5-15) and you overclocked it to 1000MHz.. If you run a benchmark you will see that there might me a 1% performance increase. Now, if you lower the timings to 4-4-4-12 and run a second benchmark you will see that the performance gain is much greater. This is why MHZ is not as important as latency. Of course if you compare 1333Mhz vs. 2200Mhz and lets say that both sets are exactly the same as far as latency goes then yes the 2200Mhz will be faster, this is obvious.

DO YOU GET IT??? or are you gonna keep typing SDRam nonsense that...
Yea that was an issue with Vista and not the CPU itself. Most users that had the TLB bug got a quick fix with a Bios update or by using the TLB disable tool . As far as I know the TLB bug was found on the B3 stepping models, that has been fixed with the newer phenoms.

kerdika

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
i have a first gen phenom 1 (with the tlb problem), with the tlb bug fix turned off in bios and on is vista i get shitty performance, with it "off, off" i get excelent performance, with it on, on or on off it get crapy performance. i was wondering if this was the same with pII's

bengi010

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I just thought I'd get back to you all since I have enjoyed reading all the comments this post has generated. I appreciate all your advice and information. The fact is I just wanted to make sure the RAM would work in the motherboard. I bought exactly what I posted, as well as a phenom II 955 and it all works fine. I have no experience overclocking so I'm going to wait on experimenting with that until I have more free time. As far as performance increases in latency vs Mhz you all know better than me. Lets just say it's all significantly faster than my old system with (this is embarrassing) was an AMD 64 3200 with 1 Gb of DDR 400 on a P.O.S. micro ATX board. So I'm happy for now, and if I can make if faster later without making it unstable or increasing the power draw unreasonably then maybe I will do so. Mostly I use Revit and do a bunch of multi tasking stuff rather than play a lot of games, so maybe this system was overkill, I don't know. But again, thank you for all the replies and keep it up if you'd like, it's all very interesting and I'm learning a lot.