Question ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Computer WILL NOT BOOT HELP PLEASE

Aug 12, 2022
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Hey guys and gals. I got an issue. Built two computers yesterday. 1st one started up fine(intel chipset), the 2nd one not so much.

Flipped the PSU on , Mobo Lit up (start button on mobo on, and RBG going), but the Tower (Corsair 5000x rbg) power buttons did not illuminate like usual. Power button on Tower has 0 response, Start button on the Mobo has no response. Went through and Reseated everything, still no dice. Here are the specs.

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Ryzen 5900x
G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB(2x16) CL14 DDR4 3600
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming (12gb)
Samsung 980 pro 2tb M.2 NVME (SSD)
Corsair HX Series 1000w
Corsair iCUE H150i Elite

Another note. The TOP LEFT of the Mobo has a 8pin, and a 4pin connector. 8 pin is obviously for the CPU , but the 4pin is for extra power for the CPU if you OC it, and my PSU did not come with a 4 pin connector at all... So I am at a loss on that

I really need help on this...

Plugged in a separate PSU to trouble shoot and it still didnt work either.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022
Hey guys and gals. I got an issue. Built two computers yesterday. 1st one started up fine(intel chipset), the 2nd one not so much.

Flipped the PSU on , Mobo Lit up (start button on mobo on, and RBG going), but the Tower (Corsair 5000x rbg) power buttons did not illuminate like usual. Power button on Tower has 0 response, Start button on the Mobo has no response. Went through and Reseated everything, still no dice. Here are the specs.

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Ryzen 5900x
G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB(2x16) CL14 DDR4 3600
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming (12gb)
Samsung 980 pro 2tb M.2 NVME (SSD)
Corsair HX Series 1000w
Corsair iCUE H150i Elite

Another note. The TOP LEFT of the Mobo has a 8pin, and a 4pin connector. 8 pin is obviously for the CPU , but the 4pin is for extra power for the CPU if you OC it, my PSU did not come with a 4+4 Pin Connector at all.

I really need help on this...

Plugged in a separate PSU to trouble shoot and it still didnt work either.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Read in the manual for the Dark Hero and see if one or the other of the CPU connectors are optional. Some are, but on a high end motherboard like this it may take both considering it is probably expected to OC.

Another issue could be BIOS related. That board came shipped "for" 3xxx CPU and may require a BIOS update to work with 5xxx. I would expect that board to have some ability to flash BIOS without CPU/RAM, but would also want to verify that within the manual.

I hope nothing is wrong with it, that is a high end board and $$$. The plus side being I have heard they have exceptional support and almost a no questions asked policy about return/replace.

Aug 12, 2022
Read in the manual for the Dark Hero and see if one or the other of the CPU connectors are optional. Some are, but on a high end motherboard like this it may take both considering it is probably expected to OC.

Another issue could be BIOS related. That board came shipped "for" 3xxx CPU and may require a BIOS update to work with 5xxx. I would expect that board to have some ability to flash BIOS without CPU/RAM, but would also want to verify that within the manual.

I hope nothing is wrong with it, that is a high end board and $$$. The plus side being I have heard they have exceptional support and almost a no questions asked policy about return/replace.

The 4 pin does not have to be plugged in it says. And I am unaware how to flash the bios without getting the Comp to even turn on

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I have a very similar setup to yours. I just looked and my 8 pin and 4 pin CPU connectors are both plugged in. You said you have a Crosshair VII. Is it a VII or VIII? I updated my BIOS before I ever fired up my build. If it's an VIII the owners manual has instructions on how to update the BIOS. You can update the BIOS via BIOS flashback without booting the PC.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022
I have a very similar setup to yours. I just looked and my 8 pin and 4 pin CPU connectors are both plugged in. You said you have a Crosshair VII. Is it a VII or VIII? I updated my BIOS before I ever fired up my build. If it's an VIII the owners manual has instructions on how to update the BIOS. You can update the BIOS via BIOS flashback without booting the PC.

It’s a VIII, would the bios be a reason why the tower would get no power to the power buttons? Or the start button wouldn’t work on the mobo itself ? I’ll try that if my new one doesn’t boot up right away ..

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I would check the following. Make sure the case connections are correct. I wired mine up wrong once because the + - markings are very small. I would definitely try adding that 4 pin CPU connector even if it says it isn't required. It won't hurt to update the BIOS. Other than that maybe the motherboard is defective?

Did your motherboard come with a Q connector for the front panel connections? Makes it easier to plug them in correctly.

TRENDING THREADS